Upgrading CPU and Motherboard

ArielElia95

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2013
Hello,
I have my PC since 2009 and it serves me very well. Of course I made a few upgrades over time and the current general rig is:
Intel i7 860 @ 2.8GHz
Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3L
WD Black 1TB
^ are here since 2009
Sapphire R9 390 Nitro
G.Skill ripjaws X 2 x 8GB 1600MHz
Seasonic 750W
Samsung 850 250GB SSD

I'm thinking about upgrading the CPU and Motherboard and probably the case too (the currnt one is CM 690 1) to full tower.
The "problems" I'm having now is with the SSD that runs on SATA2 instead of 3 which only use 50% of its capabilities, and I guess that I'll have much better performance in gaming with a new i7 (even though it's really good now too).

Do you think it worth it?
I'll probably upgrade to the 7700K with a matching motherboard from asus/gigabyte (a simple one, I guess they all support everything I have, no CF).

Thanks

problematiq

Reputable
Dec 8, 2015
a new mobo, proc, and ram will work. The OS will not boot though, it's due to the storage driver mismatch and will do a looping blue screen on you. I am still using a 3770k i7 and have not seen a need as of yet to upgrade, One thing is from the frist gen to the second gen i series was quite a leap. If you have a spare PCI-E slot I would just get a sata 3.0 card to get over your SSD bottleneck, either way is fine though. I also have been staying away from full towers, unless you have/need a ton of storage or xfire/SLI it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to use full towers.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I don't see why not. You would be leaping forward in a lot of ways and it would leave room for some expansion in the future. You can sell the CPU/Motherboard/Ram as a set or re-purpose it.

Pretty much any Z270 board is going to support CF and SLI is also pretty common, unless you go for shrinking down to Mini-ITX, though the GPU might be a problem in some cases.

Keep in mind for best results you pretty much have to use Windows 10 on Kabylake. Though there are drivers for Windows 7 and 8 from several motherboard manufacturers and guides for getting older OS installed.

ArielElia95

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2013

1. Why buy a new ram?
2. Mine is the first gen, no graphic performance in these as far as I remember, so I guess it'll be a big improvement.
3. My spare PCI-E slot is used to get USB 3.. so..
4. The current one is midi if I'm not mistaken, and the GPU fits just in but it touches a beam in side, like a kiss parking. Full tower will make more room.

I would like to hear about a few improvements I'll get from this upgrade.
I don't think I can sell them.. who would buy it?
I don't intend to do CF or SLI but yea most of them support it. And if I'll switch from midi tower it'll be to full tower.
And I'm using windows 10 already haha

problematiq

Reputable
Dec 8, 2015

Then it's time for an Upgrade. You will need new ram because you are using DDR3 and the 7XXX series uses DDR4. Full tower is fine, but if you get a wife who thinks your PC in the living room is ugly then you tend to go for a smaller case to hide. o.o

ArielElia95

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2013

hahaha yea but this is not the situation.
So I'll probably buy a new ram too if it won't work with the 7 series. Maybe you know a website that ships worldwide (I want to compare prices with the local stores)?

problematiq

Reputable
Dec 8, 2015

I do not :/ Might look around the forums though, I think I have seen some people ask before and get a good response.

ArielElia95

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2013

OK thanks