My laptop wont get past startup repair after being put in safemode

Scinfaxi

Prominent
Mar 27, 2017
Hi, I am in need of help. Before explaining the situation, my laptop is under windows 10, a year old (already win 10 when I bought it). Its the only computer I have, so I cant download a Windows .iso to fix it (as I read on other websites) and I have no windows installation cds or repair cd, I've got nothing...

So, almost a month ago, I dropped my laptop from a chair. After this incident, I turned it on and it was really slow (took almost 20 minutes to show up the password screen and more time to launch anything). After this, I tried to factory reset it, that's what I usually do and I dont mind losing my files, but the computer didnt let me. I tried to restore it from the start up repair tool but it wouldnt do it either, it would say "an error has occured, no modifications has been made", something like that. So I booted it again and put it on safemode through msconfig. But when I restarted it, it wouldnt go past the start up repair! I tried everything from there and nothing worked, it all restarted to the same point...

I dont know what to do no more

Solution

May be the case where you can get a connection cable to hook up the drive to your machine to extract content, there's third party software solutions that claim to salvage drive content but they're wildly unreliable so I won't recommend those. Asus may have something.

LukeFatwalker

Reputable
Dec 29, 2015
At this point it's either a damaged MBR or physical damage, let's start with the MBR.

You may want to try resetting the MBR back to it's previous config, if your issue is a software one, it will be resolved by this.

If that doesn't work it's hardware damage, which is harder to give suggestions for. You may want to contact the laptop's manufacturer to get information on how to get repairs done as laptops can be difficult to repair on your own.

If the first step of the MBR reset works, I highly recommend backing up your system with a disk imager (i.e. Acronis True Image) or a snapshot tool (i.e. RollBack Rx).

Scinfaxi

Prominent
Mar 27, 2017
Resetting the MBR didnt work, still stuck here... But thank you for your answer anyway. I was told my hard drive (or hard disk?) is broken from the fall. I dont know how to change one myself and after researches, I read it can go up to a few hundreds of dollars to get it changed. I dont care about losing my data tho so could it be cheaper to just change it like that without backup? I will try to contact Asus, the manufacturer

LukeFatwalker

Reputable
Dec 29, 2015

May be the case where you can get a connection cable to hook up the drive to your machine to extract content, there's third party software solutions that claim to salvage drive content but they're wildly unreliable so I won't recommend those. Asus may have something.

Solution