PG279Q Backlight bleed

niroshido

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012
Hi everyone,

So I bought the PG279Q 2 weeks ago. On thursday 23rd March (exactly one week after purchase) the Monitor made its way from Germany to Ireland and my door step.

As everyone expects some BLB and IPS glow, so did I. however given that I have never owned an IPS panel before and have not bought a panel in 10 years it is difficult to determine the severity of the BLB I have, that is why I am here.

I am torn as to whether I should RMA this immediately or simply live with it constantly niggling at the back of my mind (you know, "If I RMA'd it when I had the chance I might of have a flawless IPS panel" quandary)

lcYVc

http://imgur.com/gallery/lcYVc

the above was taken with my Samsung Galaxy S5, the panel is set to 30% brightness. My question is, should I RMA this or accept that this is the way things are?

Solution
Hi Pimpin-tl,

thanks for your response to this thread. There as several reasons why I have come to tomshardware seeking advice on this issue
1 - I trust this community
2 - I am very much aware that IPS glow and BLB exist and are considered "defects"
3 - Nothing is perfect

I would like to however, go back to point 2 with reference to your comment, I also welcome everyone elses opinion and discussion, because simply put, this is a defect.

If we were to change the product from a computer monitor with a visual imperfection and maybe think of it as a car, do you think that a car company could sell a 1st hand car with visual imperfections and say "but, there is always a chance it can come out this way".

I want to be clear here, I am not...

niroshido

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012
Hi Pimpin-tl,

thanks for your response to this thread. There as several reasons why I have come to tomshardware seeking advice on this issue
1 - I trust this community
2 - I am very much aware that IPS glow and BLB exist and are considered "defects"
3 - Nothing is perfect

I would like to however, go back to point 2 with reference to your comment, I also welcome everyone elses opinion and discussion, because simply put, this is a defect.

If we were to change the product from a computer monitor with a visual imperfection and maybe think of it as a car, do you think that a car company could sell a 1st hand car with visual imperfections and say "but, there is always a chance it can come out this way".

I want to be clear here, I am not arguing with your comment pimpin-tl, but I am simply trying to open this topic for the sake of discussion.
lets look at this in another way, also feel free to point out flaws in my statements/examples etc.

advantages/ disadvantages of monitor type

TN panel - Advantages - Cheap, High refresh rate
TN panel - Disadvantages - poor view angle, poor color reproduction
Reasons to buy TN panel - They are cheap to build, provide a good refresh rate.
Reasons to not buy TN panel - If you want good color reproduction you wont find it in a TN panel.

IPS panel - Advantages - Great color reproduction, great view angle
IPS panel - Disadvantages - poor refresh rate, expensive, high chance of/ or guarantee of imperfections at varying levels
Reasons to buy IPS panel - They can reproduce colors pretty darn well and have a good view angle
Reasons to not buy IPS panel - Are very expensive, tend to have disappointing quality control, low refresh rate

This can seem somewhat biased but must state that over my lifetime this is my first encounter with an IPS panel, as all previous panels have been TN panels, both at work, net cafes, previous computers and colleges. But simply looking beyond the potential of bias for a minute, there is one important issue to point out...

If IPS panels are by design fundamentally flawed and exist with imperfections at varying degrees then it must be questioned why this technology is still used at all, why it is allowed to be sold, or why there is not more aggressive QA standards (which would involve active lawsuits against companies who fail to meet high QA standards) that are being seen across the world over these issues, IPS by its very nature is expensive to manufacture and is by its very nature aimed at people who aim for high quality standards in their fields (Photography, Graphic Design, Art, video editing) for reproducing accurate imagery,

to put the above into a shorter version. IPS is aimed at people who expect high quality images, so why are we allowing monitors to be shipped with imperfections that could affect a persons perception of a quality image. It is like selling a Brand new car with a dent or a scratch and saying that this is an inherent problem with the manufacturing of cars.

I welcome an open debate on this.

Solution

pimpin-tl

Honorable
Jul 14, 2013

Like I said, it's the way ips technology is. You are going to get some form of back light bleed. . Some worse than others.

https://youtu.be/mje_fmayu0k

Yours look excessive to me, though phone pics tend to exaggerate this. I just bought a PG27AQ myself. I seem to have a small amount of bleed near the bottom middle, possibly little in far left bottom as well. However bottom part extends at most 1/2" from screen edge above logo. Using 85% brightness as well. Rest of mine is IPS glow depending on viewing angle. Been using IPS for many years and can difference between BLB and IPS glow.