Cannot get permission to files saved in backup

czechman45

Commendable
Dec 1, 2016
Hello,

I recently created a system backup on an external hard drive using AOMEI Backupper. I need to pull just a few files from this System Backup, however, I seem to be unable to do so. I'm running Windows 10. I go to Utilites-> Explore Image -> Path and I input the path to the backup on my connected external hard drive. It creates an image preview that I can browse to as H: on my computer. I then go to H: and browse to my user folder in which the files are located. I click it to open it but get a warning that says: "You don't currently have permission to access this folder. Click Continue to permanently get access to this folder." I click continue. I get another alert that says "You have been denied permission to access this folder. To gain access to this folder you will need to use the security tab". 'security tab' is a link, so I click on it. That brings up the security tab and a message that says, "You must have Read permissions to view the properties of this object. Click Advanced to continue." I click Advanced, and the Advanced tab has same message about needing Read permissions, so I click the button that has a shield image and the word Continue. That brings up another window that shows a lot of info, including the current owner. I click change next to that and then type in my account user name and click 'Check Name'. That alters my account user name to the full path (Computer_Name/AcountUserName). I click ok, check the box that says, "Replace owner on subcontainer and objects" and then click ok again. Then I get a message that read, "An error occurred while applying security information to: (path name) The media is write protected."

How can I overcome this and get access to my files? Please help!

Solution
You could try adding Take Ownership to the right click context menu https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/add-take-ownership-to-explorer-right-click-menu-in-vista/ at the end of the post look for Take Ownership Menu Hacks and in the zip run Add Take Ownership to Context menu.reg. After use File manager and right click on the folder that contains the backup and click Take Ownership than try restoring your files from the backup.

u2desire420

Commendable
May 17, 2016
You could try adding Take Ownership to the right click context menu https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/add-take-ownership-to-explorer-right-click-menu-in-vista/ at the end of the post look for Take Ownership Menu Hacks and in the zip run Add Take Ownership to Context menu.reg. After use File manager and right click on the folder that contains the backup and click Take Ownership than try restoring your files from the backup.

Solution