Windows 10 hard drive full says full when it isn't

usarmylcorley

Prominent
Mar 27, 2017
AVG Web Tuneup is using all the free space on my hard drive.

I used WinDirStat to find out where the used space was and lo and behold my hard drive was completely filled up by the AVG Web Tuneup cache. The cache was filled over and over and over again by replications of all the folders under the cache. It was a never ending loop of replication. That is how each individual tiny sized file was adding up. Apparently, AVG knows about this problem and is emailing individual customers about the issue as they go to the AVG website to complain.

I would suggest to EVERYONE that has this software installed, to immediately uninstall it and then run the AVG remover from the AVG website. Then, use a different free anti-virus to prevent this from happening. I spent 3 hours searching my hard drive for the culprit, and it never showed up in explorer, but WinDirStat showed it instantly. This level of stupidity in program coding should be addressed by AVG and added to a warning screen or just simply fixed, but AVG won't do that. Instead, they will email you the "fix" after you complain. Unacceptable.

No need to reply, I fixed my issue. This is simply here to inform other people that AVG almost butt screwed my machine and it could easily be causing all of your storage problems, too.

usarmylcorley

Prominent
Mar 27, 2017
The location of the cache was in:

C:\Windows\Users\[your username here]\AppData\Local\Packages\AVG Web Tune Up

or at least that is where I remember from memory as I made this thread after I removed AVG completely.