Solution
The subjective difference between 1080P and 1440P depends on a number of factors.

How good is your eyesight? Someone with a little less than excellent vision at monitor distances is going to have a hard time distinguishing 1080p from 1440p. When I used to work in IT Support I was surprised by the number of people who preferred to run their 1280x1024 displays at a lower resolution because they preferred everything to be bigger, and couldn't seem to tell it was extremely soft and fuzzy (to my eyes, at least).

How big is the monitor? In terms of sharpness, what actually matters is pixels-per-inch. So a larger 1440P is actually just as sharp (or possibly even less sharp) as a smaller 1080P display. Obviously it's larger, which is...
The subjective difference between 1080P and 1440P depends on a number of factors.

How good is your eyesight? Someone with a little less than excellent vision at monitor distances is going to have a hard time distinguishing 1080p from 1440p. When I used to work in IT Support I was surprised by the number of people who preferred to run their 1280x1024 displays at a lower resolution because they preferred everything to be bigger, and couldn't seem to tell it was extremely soft and fuzzy (to my eyes, at least).

How big is the monitor? In terms of sharpness, what actually matters is pixels-per-inch. So a larger 1440P is actually just as sharp (or possibly even less sharp) as a smaller 1080P display. Obviously it's larger, which is probably a good thing, but it's no necessarily sharper.
Can you tell the difference in "sharpness" between a smaller and larger 1080P display? Would you pay more money to get the larger display to look just as sharp as the smaller one?

How far do you sit from the monitor? Most objective assessments of 4K TVs state that it's quite difficult to tell the difference because we tend to sit quite a long way back from TVs, so the higher pixel density less important. If you sit very close to your monitor the higher pixel density will matter more.
You can *sort of* simulate the difference between pixel density by moving closer and further away from your monitor. How close do you get at 1080P before you can start to perceive the lower "sharpness" of the game?

It's actually extremely subjective.

Bear in mind too that higher resolutions work GPUs harder, so unless you're rocking a high end graphics card you'll likely need to lower detail settings to get comparable frame rates, at least in demanding titles. So the higher pixel density has to be traded off with lower detail settings and/or frame rates (again, unless you've got a 1080 or 1080ti).

Solution

Atreyo Bhattacharjee

Commendable
Feb 7, 2017

Also, if I was to play a game at medium to high settings, 1080p, would I be able to tell a graphical differance between that and something like a PS4 Pro?