64GB on an mITX ASUS z270i board?

esbowman

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2012
So, I'm trying to build a little portable mITX machine for After Effects and Octane rendering. I need 64GB minimum because AE really can use all you throw at it for RAM previews. So far, all the mITX boards say max of 32GB of RAM including the board I want to go with - ASUS z270i. That said, I have a hunch that if I were to buy 64GB of RAM (2 x 32GB modules) I might be able to make it work. The 32GB individual modules are not super popular yet, but I'm seeing more and more of them on the market.

Has anyone tried this? Think it's possible? Possible on other mITX boards?

esbowman

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2012
Ok. I wasn't optimistic about it, but remembered reading something about people using more than the specified RAM on their boards and it worked. That said, it was on bigger boards. The only board I know of that DOES support 64GB is the ASRock x99 itx board. It supports 64GB if using an XEON. I'd rather go with the higher clock speed of an i7 however, and the ASRock board seems to be fairly old and there are numerous complaints about DOAs. I'll keep looking or possibly move up to an mATX. I just wanted a small case like the Corsair 380t.

there are no "consumer" 32GB ddr4 modules.
Moreover, the only way to have it 64GB in a system based on 115x socket is to use MB with 4 memory slots.
if you want more, you need X99 or server chipset

esbowman

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2012
Ok. I found a dozen or more on PCPartPicker but it is obvious that they do not have the typical "consumer" casings/heat spreaders/etc. Guess there's just not a big demand for mITX boards with 64GB of RAM. :)

it's impossible to do that in "standard" mini ITX.
if some manufacturers where smarter, there would use sodims (laptop size modules) instead of regulard dims for memory - that way they would be able to fit 4 slots. not sure though that desktop CPUs support it as it a bit different