New graphics card won't let me boot into bios

steveis2

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2016
Hi,
I have just installed an AMD R7 259 graphics card into my PC which has a Gigabyte GA-H81M-S2PV motherboard. Everything works fine if I boot normally. When I try to boot into the BIOS however the screen stays blank and there is no signal. If I revert to the on board graphics based on the Intel I5 3470 CPU I can boot into the bios.

When I go into control centre and hardware I noted that both the R7 250 and on board Intel graphics are shown as enabled. If I disable the Intel graphics and try to boot with the R7 250 I get a blank screen.

I assumed that the motherboard would disable the on board graphics when I installed the graphics card but it does not seem to have done so. I can't see why I can't boot into the bios with the graphics card. Does anyone have an idea as to why I can't boot into bios with the graphics card or why the on board graphics are still enabled?

Regards Steve

It would seem that your motherboard does not recognize your graphics card. Please unplug the machine, press and hold the power button to drain all remaining power, remove the graphics card from the motherboard and take a look at the PCIe connector. If you don't see any visible damage, just put it back in and try whatever you were you trying to do again.

steveis2

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2016
Thanks for your reply.
I took the card out and one of the copper connectors does appear shorter than the others so perhaps that is the problem. On the other hand apart from not letting me boot into the bios the card, once its driver is installed, does appear to work. Do you think there would be any harm in continuing to use it? Albeit I'll have to use the on board graphics to boot into the bios.

Regards Steve

steveis2

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2016
Thanks for your reply.
I updated the bios but it hasn't made any difference. Currently I can use the card but can't boot into the bios unless I use the on board graphics.

Regards Steve

steveis2

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2016
Hi, the problem is solved. As my old computer automatically identified a PCI-e graphics card I assumed this one would. In fact I had to manually change from the on board graphics to the PCI-e graphics card in the bios by changing two settings. Having done that the card is recognized, I can boot into the bios and the on board graphics is disabled.

Thank you for the input as it kept me persevering.

Regards Steve

Sorry for the wait.

Glad to hear the problem is resolved.

Could you please take a picture of the connector and post it here? A damaged connector can lead to power delivery issues, or even communication issues with motherboard BIOS which could take a crap all over the card's firmware if the two can't understand each other. I'd like to make sure you're not running a card that's just an issue waiting to happen.

The forum software here on Tom's doesn't allow you to upload images to the forums (or else they'd need much more storage on their servers), so you'll need to upload your image to a hosting website like imgur or photobucket. Once that's done, just link the image to this post. You can just paste the link into the reply box, or follow this guide to get the image to appear inline with your text.