Windows could not complete the installation

jeffhennen

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2014
Hello,

I am having an issue installing windows 10 on my brand new NVMe ssd the 960 evo.

I upgraded from a random hdd that still works, but I tried installing windows 10 on a completely new hdd on this desktop I built and it is also getting rhe same error.

I then used that new hdd on a laptop that I had the new hdd for and it installed perfectly. No kinks

So I don't know what the issue is, I install like normal and then it does it's reboot and then when it reboots it goes into the motherboard screen with the options of going to bios or heading to the boot menu. Here is where I get the error of

"windows could not complete installation. To install windows on this computer, restart the installation."

I would greally appreciate any help in solving this issue. Thank you ahead of time.

Solution

Are you talking about USB? I never noticed the Microsoft advice says to use Fat32 yet this link (See 2nd picture) shows you can use NTFS Just make sure your settings match one of the 2 pictures

You will need to restart the install for it to work. If you press Shift F10 on the installation screen, this will open cmd
type diskpart and press enter
type list disk and press enter
this shows all drives available, dvd/USB and hdd, make note of hdd number
type Select disk X - where X is the number of the hdd you want to install to, change X to that number and press enter
once the drive you want to install on is...

jeffhennen

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2014
I am attemping to try this solution right now. And yes I am installing educational edition, although when I initially installed this on this desktop I did not use educational I used just a standard install and then got a cd key which tured put to be educational.

But in regards to this, I was not able to get it to create the file format as fat32, since the file type did not cprrespond to the is I guess.

Colif

Win 11 Master

Are you talking about USB? I never noticed the Microsoft advice says to use Fat32 yet this link (See 2nd picture) shows you can use NTFS Just make sure your settings match one of the 2 pictures

You will need to restart the install for it to work. If you press Shift F10 on the installation screen, this will open cmd
type diskpart and press enter
type list disk and press enter
this shows all drives available, dvd/USB and hdd, make note of hdd number
type Select disk X - where X is the number of the hdd you want to install to, change X to that number and press enter
once the drive you want to install on is chosen, type Clean and press enter
restart PC

this will wipe the drive and allow you to restart installation from a blank hdd as the previous install may be stopping you from installing again.

Solution