1050 overclock in a laptop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nzalog

Respectable
BANNED
Jan 2, 2017
Thatvietguy is right. Even if you managed to overclock you'd reach the limits of the cooler and then it would go back to an even lower speed (thermal throttling) as it tries to keep from overheating.

The best thing you could try (although I have not tested or read about it) is try to under-volt the GPU and see if it remains stable. An under-volt would basically reduce heat generated letting the the GPU run at higher speed before it had to throttle down due to heat.

DigitalHamster

Respectable
Nov 10, 2016
I know it is a couple of days late, but I just wanted to suggest something...
Using some software such as MSI Afterburner or EVGA Precision X, you can add an offset to the maximum clockspeed without effecting voltage.
Same voltage but a higher speed means that the cooling will work fine as no extra heat is created.
I believe it goes up in steps of 13MHz, so take it up a notch at a time until the GPU crashes, then revert to the last stable one.

For some reason Tomshardware does not let me choose the best answer anymore. This would be it though.

Daniel Thomas

Reputable
Jul 27, 2015

So how far were you able to overclock the GPU? I'm just wondering because I want to overclock mine, although mine is slightly different than the stock laptop 1050. Mine has an extra 2GB of VRAM, so 4 instead of 2, but I believe besides that both are more or less the same.

Daniel Thomas

Reputable
Jul 27, 2015

Ah, I can understand that. I did just try it out myself, and got some pretty good results. By just boosting the core clock by 26+ and mem clock by 50+ I've gotten a boost by 10FPS in Rainbow Six Siege, and all of my other games I've tested seem to stay locked at 60 too. The fans to crank up pretty loud depending on the game, but I think that is a fair trade of for the performance increases I'm seemingly getting.

wanamees123

Prominent
Oct 23, 2017
1050 in notebook overclocks nicely and for everyday use you can actually lower to voltage to significantly reduce heat (thus making it even safer, than stock). I dont know, if rising voltage is possible, but in regular scenario wouldn't advise (for testing purposes with cold air, why not).
I have 7700hq and 1050 4gb.

For overlocking (and lowering voltage) use afterburner.
Ctrl + F for voltage and core speed, memory speed is set through the slider.

Default: core: 1690mhz, ram 1750, volt 1.063 (firestrike 5500)
High (not tested to max): core: 1910mhz, ram 1866mhz (+220), volt 1.025 (firestrike 6040)
Optimal: core 1800mhz, ram 1850mhz (+200), volt 0.950

Apr 19, 2018
allright, i have the same specs, just an asus rog, and it started overclocking it, i hit 255 on core, and 155 on memory, but it crashes after a while, going higher then this will result in a bosd every so often, so i recommend going around 225/230 on core, 125/130 (maybe 135) on memory. if you want to overclock this chip.

Status
Not open for further replies.