What are some tips that you will want to share with users without much IT knowledge?

wong93

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2012
I am working in a big company and I would like to do something like sending out weekly or monthly email to everyone in the company which contain a different tip each time on how to be a better/more efficient PC user

e.g. "You may press windows + E to access windows explorer quicker"
e.g. " Do you know you can schedule your windows update"

And slides and screenshot of how to do that will be shown as well

What are some tips that you would want user to know/share with user ? I need some ideas so I can have more ideas of what to post regularly

Solution

If you are in a big company, you should be using WSUS to schedule and deploy updates for your users. Win+X is useful for 8.1 users (though it works on every version) as it brings up the...

Jester Maroc

Distinguished
Windows + D to get back to the desktop. Very useful for people new to windows computers.

Windows + typing the application they wish to start.

The ability to dock their Task Bar on any side or even on top. It can be more ergonomically efficient depending on what software they use on a daily basis.

An explanation of the notifications icon and its purpose.

A short tutorial about system resources and how it can impact system performance (ie, RAM = 4gb > 20x tabs = browser using 1.5gb > together with OS and other applications this can cause the PC to slow down to a crawl).

If you are in a big company, you should be using WSUS to schedule and deploy updates for your users. Win+X is useful for 8.1 users (though it works on every version) as it brings up the shutdown options quickly. Greenshot is the most useful applet I've ever deployed. Most other things in a large deployment you should be using Group Policy to control, so apps installed, look & feel etc should all be controlled centrally to give you less of a support overhead.

Solution

+1 for the WSUS server, we run a dedicated VM WSUS where I work. I also run a program called spiceworks that keeps track and monitors all computers on the network.

Sadly many users do not know how to use the Tab key or Enter key in forms/login passwords. That would be my first one.
Its like nails on a chalkboard when I am there to assist someone and they grab the mouse (and very slowly the cursor) every single time there is a new field or button.

Can you find users who are not IT but are very strong with your companies software? If you can ask if they can write down the best 2 features that save them time and share this. When you share it make it make it clear the tip is from someone doing the work and not from someone in IT. I find general help emails from IT teams largely get ignored but a hints and tips email where the tip is from a colleague are far more likely to be read and tried. I'm sure some people think 'what do IT know about doing my job?' And the communication is ignored.

Ralston18

Titan
For all users but especially new users:

Read, verify, look, and doublecheck before you click, submit, apply, OK, etc...

Carefully read and note what any pop-windows present. Especially if an error is presented.

Do not start clicking and re-clicking when something goes wrong or appears to have gone wrong.

Usually makes things worse.

Also:

If you call for help (via the Helpdesk or other support group) follow their directions carefully and do not get ahead of the directions they provide. Troubleshooting may take some time and if you get ahead then you may need to start over again.