No sound from HDMI after installing new GPU

Citizen Cook

Commendable
Feb 3, 2017
I just installed a new graphics card into my PC. (Nvidia GeForce 1080 Ti)

Sound comes from my speakers just fine.
But when i switch displays to my 4k TV the sound continues to play from my PC speakers and not from the TV itself as i had previously before installing the new card.

Now, when i click on playback devices i have two options listed:

Speakers and Digital Audio (S/PDIF). The TV is not listed.

If i click on Digital Audio (S/PDIF) nothing happens. I have tried right clicking on a blank area of the box and have enabled "show disabled devices" and "show disconnected devices" but nothing new appears.

I have also booted into the bios and checked to make sure that the audio there hasn't been disabled in someway and i can confirm that it hasn't, it remains enabled.

Any ideas?

1) I like to point out that HDMI won't carry 4K from PC to the HD TV - Need to use Display Port
2) Did you check the TV menus to ensure it is allowing the HDMI sound to play ? Aka isn't mute on that 'selected' device source?
3) In my case I plugged from the GPU > HDMI > TV then plugged the speakers into the TV ONLY (mine has a OUT to speakers as well). Have you tested unplugging the speakers (some audio on motherboard takes the plug 'status' to determine 'where' to send the audio). and see if the HDMI is sending the sound now to the TV speakers (after checking step 2 above)?

Citizen Cook

Commendable
Feb 3, 2017

1. Really? Why is that?
2.Yes, checked before posting.
3. Also tried before posting but made no difference.

1. To be in 'SPEC', the Video output via HDMI does not meet the same criteria as say your BlueRay Player or CableTV box as they have different specifications that are newer. So the HDMI doesn't have enough 'data' lines to pump out Sound and 4K level video signal. Only Display Port or Thunder.... whatever it is for Macs are capable of that.
2. Next test would be to try a different HDMI port, and cable, also from a different source. So if you unplug it from say the CableTV Box to the TV which is giving you picture AND sound, then plug that into PC to the TV instead and it still is not, then you eliminated the hardware connection point on the TV AND cable.
A) Most likely then the card is not fully enabling HDMI for sound, which usually either Drivers, Windows setting OR hardware of the card. I would try a laptop and see if it can HDMI display and sound out of it.
B) Try to use ONLY the TV as the sole Monitor (you indicated you might be using MULTIPLE screens here) and see if anything changes.

Citizen Cook

Commendable
Feb 3, 2017
I've fixed it.

I uninstalled all of the Nvidia drivers and reinstalled the latest, fresh. Something screwy must have happened with the upgrade.

My only problem now is that when I switch between the momitor and TV i have to manually go into playback and switch audio channels...

I have never seen it 'automatically switch' audio OUTPUT before of it's own choice. I have speakers (as I mention) and USB headphones, and the ONLY time it 'automatically' switches is when I 'plug in' the USB (it looks at it like adding a new device); but it doesn't 'know' to switch to USB just because I lift and put them on my head (automatic as your inferring) instead of listening to the speakers.

Again the only time I would be aware of in your setup (Monitor + TV) is if your 'adding' or 'enabling' the TV and then it would switch 'as a new device added' to that output. But again it won't "switch back" unless you 'deactivated' or 'removed' the TV

Citizen Cook

Commendable
Feb 3, 2017

I have no idea why, but the audio has started switching automatically now when I W+P.

According to NVidia's website
https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/products/10series/geforce-gtx-1080-ti/
when looking at the specs, written in lighter black print at the bottom.

1 - Windows 10 requires November 2015 update or newer.
2 - 7680x4320 at 60 Hz RGB 8-bit with dual DisplayPort connectors or 7680x4320 at 60 Hz YUV420 8-bit with one DisplayPort 1.3 connector.
3 - DisplayPort 1.2 Certified, DisplayPort 1.3/1.4 Ready.
4 - Recommendation is made based on PC configured with an Intel Core i7 3.2 GHz processor. Pre-built system may require less power depending on system configuration.

That said, you didn't list the specific model of your card, have you checked with the manufacturer's website to see the FAQ about how to connect 4K? Up till today, even the Mods will tell you DP or Thunder... for Mac is the only way it 'works' from PCs.

When you use WinKey+P your 'adding' a second display to your PC, which then would 'switch' to the 'new' added source (HDMI to TV). When you Winkey+P to go back to Single Monitor / Turn off the TV you 'removed' the second display and it looks for the other source of 'sound' output (heaphones, speakers, etc.).

Which is what I mentioned, as most people with TWO screens leave them both 'on' all the time, they don't normally turn one one and off when they want.

Citizen Cook

Commendable
Feb 3, 2017

The card is Nvidia's founder edition. When I brought my TV I was told that the four HDMI ports are HDCP 2.2 and therefore 4K compatible. Guess i need to look into this...

http://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2016/5/12/11662346/nvidia-founders-edition-geforce-gtx-explained

DisplayPort 1.2 Certified, DisplayPort 1.3/1.4 Ready: Drive the latest
DisplayPort panels with support for resolutions up to 4096x2160. << 4K resolution

and HDMI3: Support for HDMI includes 4K resolution at 60 Hz, GPU-accelerated
Blu-ray 3D support, x.v.Color, HDMI Deep Color, and 7.1 digital surround
sound.

From the http://www.nvidia.com/content/geforce-gtx/GTX_1080_User_Guide.pdf

So you can try 4K on the HDMI, since Foundations Editions are rare bird cards, not the norm (as cards are actually sold by third parties as noted int he first article). Your getting a actual card NVidia made itself. If it doesn't work, then try the DP. It shows you what each port is in the images of the manual I second linked.