Help? PC won’t display login screen with 3 monitors attached…

TheDieHardNinja

Prominent
Mar 29, 2017
I am having a fairly major issue with my PC that started a couple of days ago and would really like some help. Not sure if this is the most applicable category but I'm almost certain that it's a software issue. I have three monitors, a PG278Q (G-Sync, 1440p) and two PB277Qs (1440p) which are all being run by an EVGA GTX 780ti SC. CPU - Intel 4770k, RAM - 32GB Kingston HyperX, Mobo – Asus z87 Deluxe… I have had no trouble with this setup until this last Monday…

Basically, whenever I turn my computer on, it posts then shows the windows logo with the loading icon, then once that is done, it just stops. The display goes black and stays that way. It sounds to me as if the computer then tries to restart, going by the noise it makes. If I then unplug all but one monitor and wait a while, it recovers, displays the login screen and allows me to continue.

The strange thing is that if I only plug one monitor in, doesn’t matter which one, it starts perfectly fine when I first turn it on, shows me the login screen and allows me to use it normally. Now the super strange bit… Once logged in and fully ready to use, if I then plug another monitor in, it accepts it and adapts windows to suit. Then, I can plug the third one in, no trouble and all three work at the same time as if nothing was wrong! However, if I plug them in before it is finished booting or too quickly after each other, they all freeze, go black and the whole thing just halts. It’s odd because if I then unplug all but one again, it eventually recovers but it seems like the OS freezes too for the duration because it doesn’t finish booting in the background, but continues once the display is back up. When it locks itself after not being used for a while I’ve had it sometimes freeze and not display anything, but sometimes I am able to unlock it fine.

I have tried taking the GPU out and plugged two of the monitors straight into the motherboard, which it didn't seem to mind. I have tried turning it off at the wall for several seconds, rolling back the graphics driver, reverting to a restore point, doing a full scan with Malwarebytes, fixing registry errors with CCleaner and checking for bios and windows updates, none of which worked. I have restarted it so many times now and every time, it does the same thing.

I am currently back on the latest graphics driver (378.92). I have Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, version 1607, build 14393.969, Bios version 1504. Let me know if you need any more details.

Help would be much appreciated!

Solution

9third

Commendable
Mar 19, 2016

(If you are using this as a surround setup)
Try using the Geforce control panel (Right click on your desktop and click on it) and From the NVIDIA Control Panel navigation tree pane, under 3D Settings, select Configure SLI, PhysX, Surround to open the associated page. Select Span displays with Surround, and then click the Configure button to launch the wizard.
(If you are extending the displays as individual desktops)
After boot, plug in your other two monitors, and go into settings (windows 10 only) go to the monitor settings, and try to configure the monitors and make sure all the displays are running at their native refresh rate (FPS) and resolution.
(If these all don't work)
Go in 3D settings in the Geforce control panel, and on the top right or left, you should see "Reset settings". Hit this and it should fix your problems.

Solution