DLNA TV sees folders on PC but no files

Status
Not open for further replies.

everway9

Honorable
Jul 17, 2012
Hi everyone.

I have a problem with my DLNA TV not seeing video files files on my Windows 10 PC.

The really annoying thing is that it used to work and I have no idea why it's not working now.

My TV's media browser can see my Videos folder on my PC but not the video files inside. As I said.. it had been working perfectly. The TV does support the video files on my PC and I can't remember making any changes to the system.

I heard that sometimes the Windows Search Index is to blame and to check the location of the files as they need to be in the list of search index locations.

When I go to the search index options within the control panel and go to 'Modify' the list does not show my HDD's 2nd partition which is where my video files are.(my E: drive). Even when I select 'Show all locations' the 2nd partition does not show up anywhere.

I tried rebuilding the index but it appears as though nothing happens. I get the message saying that rebuilding the index may take a long time, I click 'OK', the message disappears and there's no activity of any sort.

Maybe I'm reading to much into it but I just cant seem to find a reason for why my video files are not showing in the TV's media browser or why my 2nd partition is not showing in the list of search index locations.

Please can you help?

Many thanks in advance.

Andrew :)

Solution
Did you relocate you Libraries to another driver/folder from the dafault? If so Go to Control Panel/Indexing Options Modify and under Change Selected Locations expand the drive that holds you files and put a check mark on the folders. Eg D:\Libraries\ if you are like me and you have moved Documents, Videos, Pictures and Music to the D: drive.
However I still had the problem with files not showing so in addition I had to go to Control Panel / Network and Internet / HomeGroup to join a network.
If some files don't show up like for me .MKV files wouldn't show on my BD Player but this was solved by installing K-Lite codec pack. I used the MEGA pack but Standard should work fine.
I am assuming you enabled Streaming in Windows Media Player...

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, I don't know if this will fix your TV problem or not, but its worth a try. Open "This PC" or any explorer window and right click on drive E and choose Properties. Check the box by "Allow files on this drive to have contents indexed...". (It's a stupid place to put that, it should be in Control Panel). When done, go back into Control Panel / Indexing Options / Advanced button and Rebuild the index.

If that doesn't help, write back and maybe someone else can help with the TV problem.

everway9

Honorable
Jul 17, 2012
Hi there gardenman. :)

Thank you very much for coming to help.

I followed your instructions but unfortunately the 'allow contents to be indexed' box was already ticked.

Normally I'm the sort of person who likes to understand the reasons why problems occur and therefore I keep on working until I have my answers and get the problem fixed, no matter how big or complicated it may be.

However, I usually do a clean windows install every six months and it's nearly six months now since the last clean install. I may well accept defeat this time. :) However It would be nice to understand this problem for future reference.

I'll hang on a few days to see if anyone can provide a reason and solution.

Thank you again for your help. :)

u2desire420

Commendable
May 17, 2016
Did you relocate you Libraries to another driver/folder from the dafault? If so Go to Control Panel/Indexing Options Modify and under Change Selected Locations expand the drive that holds you files and put a check mark on the folders. Eg D:\Libraries\ if you are like me and you have moved Documents, Videos, Pictures and Music to the D: drive.
However I still had the problem with files not showing so in addition I had to go to Control Panel / Network and Internet / HomeGroup to join a network.
If some files don't show up like for me .MKV files wouldn't show on my BD Player but this was solved by installing K-Lite codec pack. I used the MEGA pack but Standard should work fine.
I am assuming you enabled Streaming in Windows Media Player? If not open Windows Media Player and select Stream and Turn on Streaming.
EDIT: I just read "When I go to the search index options within the control panel and go to 'Modify' the list does not show my HDD's 2nd partition which is where my video files are.(my E: drive). Even when I select 'Show all locations' the 2nd partition does not show up anywhere." Is this drive showing in File Explorer? If not open Disk Management (right click on Start) and right click on the Partition and select Change Drive letter and Paths and assign a letter. You may want to try setting it to a different drive letter because if it doesn't show in Indexing Options as an indexed location than DNLA won't work so you need to solve that issue.

Solution

everway9

Honorable
Jul 17, 2012
Hello u2desire420. :)

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I have 2 partitions on my HDD. One for Windows (C) and one for Storage (E). I relocated my library folders to the E drive.

As I said in my last reply, I was going to reinstall Windows soon anyway and that is what I eventually decided to do. Not just to fix this issue but because I reinstall Windows about every six months and it was due for a reinstall.

LOL.... I had the exact same problem again :D

Anyway, unlike the old install, the new one did actually list the E drive in the windows indexing lists. I added it. And then setup the Homegroup, media streaming/server and sharing functions and everything is working perfectly now.

With regards to your question about the 2nd hard drive not showing in the old installs indexing list... the E drive did not show even after selecting 'show all locations'. The E drive did show in windows explorer.

I have setup the partitions and drive letters exactly the same on the new install so I'm still no wiser as to why the E drive didn't show in the old install.

After I had setup the new install of windows, installed all my programs and windows updates and got all the DLNA working I set a system restore point so that if I screw anything up with the DLNA over the next few days and can't find a way to fix it I can revert back. I also just got Acronis True Image Home 2017 and made a full backup.

Hopefully it won't (or I won't) screw up and the DLNA will work as it always used to... perfectly.

I think all of what you have suggested would have had a good chance of fixing the issue if I had not reinstalled. Unfortunately I couldn't test it out my self.

So apart from doing the codec and drive letter changes like you said, I basically have done what you suggested before you suggested it. So I think it would be wise to accept your reply as the solution. At-least if anyone else has similar issues they can read your solution and try everything you suggested.

But, really... thanks so much for your time and the post. It's really appreciated and I'm very grateful. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.