"Cannot write to c:/users/joe/documents/launcher.ini

oran11

Prominent
Mar 30, 2017
Trying to play an installed game, suddenly the error message comes up, "Cannot write to c:/users/joe/documents/launcher.ini" for example. Error: 1008. A check on the error code is not revealing at all. Plus, an inspection of every directory and file shows that security properties permissions are showing as they should be. Help me get out of this, it's one of my top favorite games, Assetto Corsa.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I found a solution that worked for me; hopefully this helps someone else. I discovered that AC would not work unless I logged out of my Windows profile, and then logged back in under a different, non administrator log in name. Figuring this meant that it had something to do with permissions, I checked the folders. By going to C\users\tim\documents and then right clicking on the AC folder, checking "properties" and then the security tab, I noticed that the other log in name was listed but my real original profile wasn't. I clicked "edit" and then "add" and typed my name in the "object names to select box" and then clicking check names, it came up with my original log in name. I made sure the "permissions" were set to full control, and voila, it worked finally without having to log in differently. If this helps you, please let me know!

https://steamcommunity.com/app/244210/discussions/0/541907867751256228/?ctp=2 - see the last post here as well.

the game doesn't start when launched:
Make sure the pre-requisite libraries have installed properly, you can find them by right-clicking on Assetto Corsa in Steam then "Local Files" -> "Browse Local Files...". Navigate to the "_commonredist" folder and run the setup for all the included redistributables. Pay attention to any error messages you might get and make sure no antivirus or such software blocks their installation. These are normally installed automatically on first run, but occassionally they will output errors which are not reported to you by Steam;

Use Steam's cache integrity check. Open your Steam games library, right click on Assetto Corsa and select "Properties". Click "local files" and then "verify integrity of Game cache";

Check your installed Windows updates. If you have the KB2670838 update, please uninstall it and try if the game starts properly.

http://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index.php?faq/troubleshooting.2/category << if none of those work, ask on here perhaps