m.2 Drive disables my audio card

nabdone69

Prominent
Mar 22, 2017
Hi all, I've installed my OS on a m.2 drive but when I run it in PCIE mode, my sound card stops functioning and windows does not even recognize my sound card. But when I run it in SATA mode, my sound card is recognized again... I'm very confused. I have everything running on a Asus Maximus viii Hero.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Your P961 cannot run in "SATA mode", it's a PCIe SSD.

Can you move your sound card to the next x1 slot down (if your GPU is in the top x16, then your sound card is in the first x1 next to your CMOs battery).

Do you have fast boot enabled? Do you have CSM disabled? Do yu have the P961 driver installed?

nabdone69

Prominent
Mar 22, 2017
Hi, thanks for getting back to me, I have fast boot disabled and csm enabled, but I cant find the driver for the P961 anywhere at all. But I wonder why running the m.2 in PCIe has this effect on my Sound Blaster sound card... Regarding my boot times, I am extremely dissapointed with the slowness of it. I MUST be doing something wrong, I only wish I knew what...PLease shed some light for me

nabdone69

Prominent
Mar 22, 2017
Also, I am completely new to forums so I don't know if I should stay on this page or go about my business and check back later.
FYI, my sound card is on the most bottom slot....My gpu is big and takes up 2 slots so I can only use the one that's left for the sound card

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Ok, CSM is legacy BIOS - so you want that disabled.

You also want Fast Boot enabled.

That should dramatically change your boot times..... but you have to configure your BIOS *before* you install your OS - so you'll probably have to reinstall your OS.

I'm not sure with your soundcard, but it'll relate to the which slots share bandwidth. Beyond that, it's a little outside of my where I'd be comfortable going into detail (I'm smart enough to know when I'm not smart enough on a specific topic).

The PM961 is technically an OEM device, so Samsung are under no obligation to release a driver - but I believe they did on their Enterprise website. Let me track it down for you.

As for the hanging around, you don't have to. Stop by when you can - there's no required timeframe here, people help if/when they can.

Did you just move it there? Or is that where it's always been? The PCIe x1_1 slot would be where you want it to be.... is suspect it's in x1_3 which, on some older boards shared bandwidth elsewhere.

Looked for the PM961 driver, but unfortunately Samsung don't list it. They list their 960 Pro, which I would assume uses the same driver though..... (don't know 100% though). you probably won't need it right now, and Samsung Magicinan should find it for you inside Windows.

Fast boot = enabled
CSM = disabled
And you should see the speeds you're anticipating.

Move your soundcard to another PCIex1 slot and all should be fine there too.

nabdone69

Prominent
Mar 22, 2017
Wow, so configure the bios with fast boot enabled and csm disabled and reinstall windows to the m.2, is there anything else I can do in bios to better my chances? Also, if you find a driver for my pm961, I will be overjoyed. Also I felt like I was being rude if I went away and didn't answer the help people might offer, but you've put my mind at ease....Thank you

nabdone69

Prominent
Mar 22, 2017
Asus Maximus 8 hero, sound card is where it has always been, because of gtx 1080, there is nowhere else. Regarding reinstalling windows, can you list the best config for m.2 in bios?

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
It's helpful if you're still around - while it's fresh in everyones memory who may be helping you, but there's no requirement for you to just hang out and wait for an answer/help, I'm sure you have better things to do.

Which soundcard are you using specifically? Depending on the interface, there's at least 1 other slot for it, potentially even 4

bNaq3XIpJXfZ2GEm_setting_000_1_90_end_500.png

I can't think of any further 'tweaks' required in the BIOS. Load default settings and ensure the PCH Config is in PCIe mode.... Fast boot on, CSM off.

It can be hit or miss finding the driver, but I wouldn't worry about it too, too much. The Fasl boot/CSM changes should be sufficient.

The problem with the PM961 is it's an OEM part, not meant fo retail to consumers (you're 'supposed' to buy the 960Pro). So the support from Samsung at a consumer level isn't there. People do buy then though because 1) they're available. and 2) they're a bit cheaper. The price saving is a bit of a tradeoff vs consumer support though.

nabdone69

Prominent
Mar 22, 2017
Hi again, I am using the creative sound blaster z. My gtx 1080 covers the cmos battery and the next long slot. So my sound card is in the next short slot down, leaving only one long slot free

nabdone69

Prominent
Mar 22, 2017
I'm gonna reinstall windows with the bios settings you suggested, and hopefully my boot will speed up considerably. Thank you very much for your interest and advice

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
There is also a "short one" above your GPU, nearer your CPU that should work....

Or, failing that, it'll also work in the "long one"

Which 1080 do you have? It seems very, very wide if it's covering your next x16

nabdone69

Prominent
Mar 22, 2017
I have the inno 3d ichill x3 gtx 1080. I have another question to ask if you please. I just read that I can install windows in uefi mode, does this make sense at all. I read it can really boost my boot up, and the os in general?