Error: 0xc000000f, Blue screen: Bad_System_Config_Info, "The requested system device cannot be found"

justinjosevski

Reputable
May 1, 2015
Changed the msconfig of my cpu from auto to 4 and i had to restart my pc, which the loaded into a BSOD (Blue Screen of Death). I have tried to use the:
Bootrec /fixmbr
Bootrec /fixboot
Bootrec /scanos
Bootrec /rebuildbcd
But the Bootrec /rebuildbcd wouldn’t work with a error “The requested system device cannot be found”
At this point i am stuck and have no way into fixing my PC. Please Help me

Colif

Win 11 Master
Bug Check 0x74: BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO
The BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO bug check has a value of 0x00000074. This bug check indicates that there is an error in the registry.

changing CPU count shouldn't mess up the boot files. All you have done is have windows load 4 times faster than usual and its likely processes have loaded out of order.

Resolution

Try booting into safe mode and then restart the OS normally. If the restart does not fix the problem, the registry damage is too extensive. Try the following steps.
If you have a system restore point, try restoring to an earlier restore point.
Reset your PC.
Use installation media to restore or reset your PC.
Use installation media to reinstall Windows.

justinjosevski

Reputable
May 1, 2015
I am receiving the Bad_System_Config_Info and also receiving the error code of 0xc000000f.
Safe mode does not work.
I first get the error code 0xc000000f then go to F8 and access the safe mode tool, which then leads me to the BSOD of Bad_System_Config_Info
This is on a constant loop.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I thought you were using a win 10 installer to access menus. On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB << just a boot disc for now.

you can get to same menu system by changing boot order in bios to USB first, hdd second
boot from installer, on 2nd screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose system restore from here and see if it has a recent date you can roll back to. this would be easiest fix.

if this doesn't work, is there anything on C drive you want to rescue? try making this on another PC: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/use-ubuntu-live-cd-to-backup-files-from-your-dead-windows-computer/

you might need tro run a reset off the installer or just fresh install windows 10.

justinjosevski

Reputable
May 1, 2015
Yes i now am using a win10 cd for the repair menus, system restore does not work either. i am not sure what to do

Colif

Win 11 Master
i would use that ubuntu disc to copy anything off C you want to rescue (other option is put hdd into another PC as 2nd drive and copy stuff across) and then do a reset. I wouldn't keep files/settings as unsure what settings it remembers.It might be faster to just do a clean install as reset needs to wipe all drive and its a little slower than the process in a clean

Steps for clean install:
boot from installer
follow this guide: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-windows-10-clean-install.html

when you reach the screen asking for licence, click "I don't have a key" and win 10 will continue to install and reactivate once finished

On the screen where you choose where to install win 10, if it gives you an error about GPT drives, delete all the partitions on the hdd and press next. If it still gives error, cancel out of the installer and restart PC and start installer again, it will accept next on that screen this time (some PC just need a restart here)

If windows 10 could boot off all cores, pretty sure that would be default. I did change that setting on win 7 to 4 cores but PC was loading way too fast for drivers to keep up. Best leave it at auto next time.

justinjosevski

Reputable
May 1, 2015
Okay i have troubleshooted my way through this by creating a EFI partition and a MSR because when trying to repair the os, the drive could not be located, and i have used the bootrec commands once again and it has worked. But now i am taken to another BSOD of Driver_Verifier_Detected_Violation. i cannot boot through safe mode or anything and i am once again stuck. Please Help!