Windows 10 Setup/Boot Problem (new home build)

merblaine

Prominent
Mar 31, 2017
Hey everyone!

I just helped my friend build her first PC, with all brand new parts, and we're having a weird issue installing Windows 10. We are doing the install from a bootable USB, which we set up using the media creation tool from Microsoft.
Our problem comes after that first main part of the installation, where it does the little checklist on copying and readying the files, etc., and ends with "finishing up" and then the routine Windows restart. Normally, I would remove the flash drive at this point, so the machine would boot from the HDD and Windows completes its install. But, problems!

The short story:

• ■ If we remove the USB at any point during the process, we get the "Reboot and select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key_" message on restart.
    ■ If we don't remove the USB, the setup process starts all over again, at the choose language and then Install Now screen (obviously).

I've done everything I can think of, and nothing worked. I checked the internet.
I've found a lot of very similar issues, but none exactly like this. After about 18 hours of work, I've got Nothing.

Out of desperation I've messed around with the boot order in every possible way I could see, tried all the different UEFI setups people suggested, I've flashed/updated the BIOS, we tried taking the USB out at every different point before/during/after the install, nothing works.

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-970A-D3P rev 2.1
CPU: AMD FX 8370
HDD: WD Black 2TB
Windows 10 Home 64-bit

Please please please help! I'm frustrated and flabbergasted.

(On another note, in case nothing works, does anyone think installing Windows 8.1 might succeed where 10 fails? and could she use her windows 10 key for 8.1?)

Many thanks.

merblaine

Prominent
Mar 31, 2017

Thanks for your answer. We've been doing it with everything in UEFI. I guess I can try it the other way around this afternoon and see if that does it.

merblaine

Prominent
Mar 31, 2017
I forced it to do everything in legacy and for whatever reason, it worked! It's still a mystery as to why it wouldn't boot in UEFI, but I'll take whatever success I can get after that ordeal.