Dual booting issues

G

Hi, so I have a Windows 10 Acer laptop. I wanted to dual boot with the latest Ubuntu, so I divided the partition size to install Ubuntu on the same HDD. It went fine until it came to the actual dual booting part. GRUB doesn't want to be recognized, when I press F12 and go to the boot menu I only see my boot flash drive and then Windows Boot Manager assigned to my HDD. I cannot seem to boot Ubuntu off my HDD at all. My BIOS is on UEFI with Secure Boot disabled, and I have already done Boot-Repair on a live Ubuntu several times. If it helps, here's the Boot-Repair pastebin: paste2.org/WOHasDcs

G

I also tried doing in the Windows terminal: bcdedit /set {bootmgr} path \EFI\ubuntu\grubx64.efi but it just removed Windows Boot Manager from the boot order, and I got a "no bootable disk found" error when trying to boot. I had to insert my Windows 10 recovery flash drive which made Windows Boot Manager reappear and let me boot Windows 10, but my Ubuntu issue remained.

Like i said you cannot use windows boot manager to boot a linux distro you did soemthing wrong in the ubuntu install as it should have replaced the boot manager.

G

I know, but I can't find out how to boot Linux off GRUB if it's not showing anywhere.

G

I reinstalled it, but nothing changed. After I reinstalled it I attempted to boot the HDD but Windows Boot manager took over and decided to apply a series of updates

You reinstalled it with boot with windows option in the menu ? make sure after reinstall you do not boot from the windows boot manager as that will mess it up. You should look in bios for booting options.

G

There's no boot with Windows option when installing Linux, I just click reinstall it. After it finishes, it tells me to restart. I go into the BIOS and the only thing I can do is rearrange the boot order. I have it set so that the HDD boots before Windows Boot Manager, but it still takes over. I'm still only seeing the USB or Windows Boot Manager (HD) in the Boot Manager as well.

G

I tried EasyBCD but it said I couldn't do what I needed to in UEFI so I switched to Legacy. Now it tries booting RealTek Network then goes to what appears to look like an Ubuntu install disc. When I go to install it asks me if I want to reinstall Ubuntu or install it beside Ubuntu(wat). I'm confused and I don't want to damage my Windows OS. The whole point of dual booting is having 2 different operating systems to boot off. I don't want to resort to an external HDD.