[HELP] About SSD lifetime

Here's my recent - experience:

1. My box - (2) SSDs (2) SSHDs, no failures
2. Wifie - (1) SSHD no failures
3. Son No. 1 - (1) SSD (1) HD, SSD failed, HD hung on another year ... now using IPad (He's a Pilot)
4.a Son No.2 - (1) SSD (1) HD - SSD Failed, replaced with new one
4.b Son No.2 - (1) SSD (1) SSHD - No failures
5. Son No. 3 - (1) SSD (1) HD - SSD Failed, replaced with SSHD (HD now external backup), getting SSD next month.

All were premium top of the line SSDs at time of purchase. Failures were from 3.1 to 5.0 years old.

Keep in mind when 1st introduced the failure rate is was much higher than it is now.

I just did a quick calculation of what 300TB of writes actually equates to and was pretty surprised myself. Thought I'd end at 20 or 30 years at 4GB a day every day of the year (which I think is more than most would do actually), but it's actually 200 years(!).

USAFRet

Titan

It will become obsolete due to size long before it wears out.

Now...as with any bit of electronics, it may fail. Today, next week, next year...no one knows.

But if you are concerned about the SSD wearing out from too many writes...don't.
That is an outdated concept, and I wish it would die.

I have 2 of the 3 dead ones still here I be happy to send to anyone ... don't know the cause of failure, just that they stopped working. I should also note that we have been able to recover several SSDs by doing diskpart or reformating via USB docking station. 2 SSDs here had the lives extended that way and one of them, in order to boot from it, it had to be manually selected each boot in the BIOS and it was not "seen" in Boot Order page so was never able to make permanent.

USAFRet

Titan
Of the 16 drives I have here in the house in regular use...half and half SSD v HDD...I've had 1 fail and replaced in the last decade.
A 3TB WD Green, that failed right at the 5 week mark.

The eldest SSD's are from mid 2012. Still going strong.
All my main systems are SSD only. 5 in my main system, 2 in the HTPC, 1 in the wife's PC.

We have been running blind user tests about every two years or so. Until we have have users sit down and be more productive or even be able to notice which machine is SSD / SSD and which one is SSD / SSHD, (using real apps and games versus benchmarks), can't ... as yet ... justify the cost premium.

I am about to try a game test again .... Doom on SSD versus SSHD, last one was Witcher 3.

Desktops are getting 250 GB SSDs and 2 TB SSHDs, at least for the next year.

Next test will be for laptops.... in last one, the lappies w/ SSHD won out over SSD + HD ... the longer it went, the more obvious it became. This time gonna try a straight SSD versus SSHD. Woulda done that already, except Son No. 1 opted for an i-Pad (required for his Flight Logbook) and doesn't wanna carry 2 devices. Now all three of the kids are using i-Pads for mobile usage and no employees need a new lappie so test will have to wait a year or so.