Never had black bars before, but now I do?

Aequalis_

Commendable
Jun 24, 2016
I haven't been on my PC for about a week, but after I got on Overwatch, I noticed that there were black bars on the top and bottom, but I never changed any settings. I fixed this by changing the resolution from 16:9 to 16:10. Now onto Youtube, whenever I watch videos in fullscreen there is also black bars on top and bottom, and this is irritating me a lot. I've only noticed this in these 2 applications so far. Why is this happening, and is there a fix?

My resolution is 1440 x 900. My GPU is the RX 480.

Jesse_20

Distinguished
By changing resolution, you changed it system-wide, so anything that "did" appear normal, now probably won't. I would revert to the old resolution, and then go into overwatch and make sure it is set for the same resolution as your display. This should fix your problem.

Aequalis_

Commendable
Jun 24, 2016

My windows resolution was always set to my recommended (Native 1440 x 900), and Overwatch has always been 1440 x 900; 16:9.

Aequalis_

Commendable
Jun 24, 2016

It's also the same for Youtube though.

Jesse_20

Distinguished

"I fixed this by changing the resolution from 16:9 to 16:10."

I assumed you did this in windows display settings. If you did it in overwatch, then I would try a different video cable, or uninstall your GPU drivers and reinstall.

Aequalis_

Commendable
Jun 24, 2016

That was for overwatch, I changed the resolution from the in game settings. I'll go uninstall my GPU driver and see if that fixes it.

Edit: Uninstalled driver and rebooted computer; didn't seem to be fixed.