GTX 960 Bottleneck - Xeon E5345

Wilkinson Gaming

Reputable
Dec 2, 2014
Hi i want to know if i was to buy a GTX 960 would it be bottlenecked by my Dual Xeons E5345. if it would what graphics card would you recommend? or would I be able to Have Dual GTX 660s?

Thanks, Mike.

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador
you should be able to handle a GTX 960 just fine. Your running 8C/8T while only at 2.33Ghz it should still be good enough for the GPU in question. Though I would think a GTX 1050Ti would be a better choice but I have no idea how you planned on procuring your graphics card, whether through a sale, friend etc.

surya13

Honorable
Jan 22, 2014
2×Xeon E5345s gives you 8 cores and 8 threads running at 2.33 GHz.

Given the fact it was launched in 2007, its multi-threaded performance should be equivalent to that of an i3 at the best.

Also you have to remember that most games don't utilize more than 4 cores. Therefore the effective performance you get for gaming will probably be equivalent to that of a modern 2 core Pentium.

In terms of single-threaded performance, this 2×Xeon setup gets a massive hit.

Hence, I would say that if you are aiming for 60 FPS in games that take advantage of 4 or more cores, it should not be a major concern. But in games that rely on a single thread, you may see a loss in performance.

I would also recommend a single GTX 960 against dual GTX 660s.