svchost.exe using lot of CPU RAM and Disk.

MarkoGasi

Prominent
Mar 30, 2017
I don't know what's this process, when I kill it it instantly comes back and eats all of my CPU RAM and Disk, I'm sure this process is killing my computers performance, I was playing Watch Dogs 2 the other day, and it started suddenly really really lagging, and I thought it's maybe because of my weak graphics card ( RX 460 ) so I turned the settings to low, and again, nothing changed, so I went to the task manager and saw svchost.exe using more CPU RAM and Disk than Watch Dogs 2. I watched many videos on youtube, searched many forums, and it still can't be solved. I can't delete it because everyone says it's Microsoft program that is playing some kind of role in terms of updates, and I also turned the Windows update off... I can't do much else, so I'm posting this if someone had this issue before and if yes, what have they done to solve it. I'm clueless, Even Microsoft didn't come with official solution to this, sorry for the long novel...

Ok Go

Distinguished
May 23, 2015
svchost is a windows process that hosts dinamyc link libraries and windows services
try right clicking the svchost process in task manager and go to it's services.
after you know all services that's running under that process then try and stop each service one by one until you find out wich service is hogging all your resources.

MarkoGasi

Prominent
Mar 30, 2017

The problem is that I have 16 of them ( svchost.exe ), and one svchost.exe has around 5 services, some even 10 or more, and I can't stop all of them, it gives me some kind of error " The operation could not be completed. A stop control has been sent to a service that other running services are dependent on. " I would really like to reinstall Windows but I have so many programs to install again... Would reinstalling Windows even solve my problem, because this is Windows 10's " problem "
I have to say that I love your Avatar.

MarkoGasi

Prominent
Mar 30, 2017

Ugh... Is there something else I can do about it, or I really do need to reinstall to fix this problem?

Ok Go

Distinguished
May 23, 2015

it could be done without reinstalling for sure. but only if you're willing to look into it. lot's of places to look for the culprit. services, task scheduler, autorun, installed programs. much more headache than backing up important files and reinstalling.