Stop on boot: Error message DXC0000225 (repair DVD did not help)

mraroid

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2014
Hi...

My asus laptop model GL551J stopped on boot and gave me an error message. It says:

DXC0000225

Your PC needs to be repaired. Use your recovery tools (or words close to that).I google it and did not find anything helpful.

My 64 bit laptop came pre loaded with Windows 8.1. I upgraded it to Windows 10 Home shortly after I bought it. I have learned my lesson from the past so I made a repair DVD after upgrading to Windows 10.

I installed my repair DVD and it said I was running windows 8.1. I tried all the options, but it said it could not repair my computer. The recovery DVD that I made only saw 8.1 and it did not see Windows 10.

I went to Amazon and bought Windows 10 Pro. I installed that DVD and booted to it. I selected "repair computer", "start up repair". Select a OS: It only listed Windows 8.1, so I selected it. It said it was checking for errors and then said it could not fix it.

I went into the BIOS and I can see my hard drive. I went over all my settings in the BIOS and could not find anything wrong. I tried all the other repair options on the Windows 10 DVD and nothing worked.

I have not tried a few things:

1) I have not tried to install Windows 10 Pro over my broken Windows 10 Home. I am not sure if it will even work, and I don't want to loose any of my data, files, etc.

2) I have not used the DVD I made and revert back to Windows 8.1 I could try that, but again, I don't want to loose anything. Could I still upgrade to Windows 10 for free if I revert back to 8.1 to fix my computer?

3) I thought about pulling the hard drive out of the Asus and plugging it into my desktop computer which is also running windows 10 Home. Then, if my desktop sees the drive, I could right click, go to properties and then select Tools and then Error checking.

I don't know why my DVD recovery disk says my computer is running 8.1. I converted to Windows 10 almost a year ago and the laptop has been running great. I don't know why my Windows 10 Pro DVD says the only OS it sees is 8.1

Can anyone think of a way I could repair my laptop? I remember a time when all the laptops had a little door on the bottom that you could open and remove the hard drive. My last two laptops were not like this. A HP laptop I owned made you pull the entire laptop apart to get to the hard drive. This Asus laptop cost some coin, and it too has no door on the back. I need to find a service manual to tell me how to open it up.

Any suggestions welcome. Am I missing something? I think I am doing something stupid but I can't figure out what it is..

Thanks everyone.

mraroid

Solution
I had to go to sleep, its why i left instructions for fresh install. When you install it, only have hdd attached as windows 10 likes to share itself around otherwise

You might not need a driver disk, win 10 is pretty good at identifying hardware and will use generic drivers to connect to internet and then try to get drivers for everything in PC. Depends really on if it recognises your lan connections without additional drivers as to whether you have problems connecting to get drivers online.

All I would do is go to motherboard web site after and see if any newer drivers to ones it installs.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Did you try this? https://www.kapilarya.com/your-pc-needs-to-be-repaired-0xc0000225

use the win 10 pro DVD to repair Win 10 home, don't use 8.1 though in theory it should be able to do the above commands in link

did you buy win 10 Pro just to fix win 10 home? you could have downloaded a copy of the installer from Microsoft to fix it. Do you have a use for both licences as if not, once laptop is fixed, I would use the Pro licence to upgrade Home licence since you have it.

mraroid

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2014

Thank you for this good information. I have not tried it. I will as soon as I come home tonight. I will post my results ASAP. Thank you so much.

mraroid

mraroid

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2014
Update: Back home. Just tried the above. In the directions it says:

"select volume 2 (you need to select here the volume which is labelled as ESP)"

I have no volume labeled ESP. My computer says:

Volume 0 = CCSA_X64FRE DVD-ROM
Volume 1 = C - Data1 NTFS Healthy
Volume 2 = D - Data2 NTFS Healthy
Volume 3 = E - OS NTFS Healthy
Volume 4 = SYSTEM = FAT32 (hidden) Healthy
Volume 5 = NTFS (hidden) Healthy

Which one is ESP?

Thanks everyone. I think this could fix my computer...

mraroid

Colif

Win 11 Master
his instructions are too specific, they only match his exact PC. I should have been more careful, and read what they say,

select volume 4
assign letter=Z
exit
bcdboot C:\windows /s Z: /f UEFI
<< i wish I knew what this did, my guess is it rebuilds the uefi partiton.
restart PC and see if it boots

/f <firmware type>
Optional. Specifies the firmware type. Valid values include UEFI, BIOS, and ALL.

On BIOS/MBR-based systems, the default value is BIOS. This option creates the \Boot directory on the system partition and copies all required boot-environment files to this directory.

On UEFI/GPT-based systems, the default value is UEFI. This option creates the \Efi\Microsoft\Boot directory and copies all required boot-environment files to this directory.

When you specify the ALL value, BCDBoot creates both the \Boot and the \Efi\Microsoft\Boot directories, and copies all required boot-environment files for BIOS and UEFI to these directories.

If you specify the /f option, you must also specify the /s option to identify the volume letter of the system partition.

The following example copies BCD files that support booting on either a UEFI-based or a BIOS-based computer from the C:\Windows folder to a USB flash drive that was assigned the volume letter S:

bcdboot C:\Windows /s S: /f ALL

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/hardware/commercialize/manufacture/desktop/bcdboot-command-line-options-techref-di

this is all me just convincing myself it should be fine

mraroid

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2014
I keep getting directions:

Bcdboot - Bcd boot file creation and repair tool.

Thne it lists all my options. I think I am trying something wrong but I can't figure out what it is....

Colif

Win 11 Master
if this doesn't work, I would go with your option 3 but copy any info off drive while its installed so that you can do a clean install of win 10 Pro. Another option is try making this on another PC: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/use-ubuntu-live-cd-to-backup-files-from-your-dead-windows-computer/

depending on if drive is set up as MBR or GPT, you may need to delete all partitions on the hdd so make sure to copy anything off it you don't want to lose.

boot from installer
follow this guide: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-windows-10-clean-install.html

On the screen where you choose where to install win 10, if it gives you an error about GPT drives, delete all the partitions on the hdd and press next. If it still gives error, cancel out of the installer and restart PC and start installer again, it will accept next on that screen this time (some PC just need a restart here)

mraroid

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2014
I am ready to give up and try another option. I have typed it in zillion times.

"Failure when attempting to copy boot files"

I am typing:

bcdboot (space) C:\windows (space) /s (space) Z: (space) /f (space) UEFI

is this correct?

mraroid

mraroid

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2014
Thank you grandmaster for the other options. I am reading them now.

I wanted to stick the windows 10 pro DVD in the dead laptop and install pro over the installed "home" edition and keep all my files. Guess I can not do that....

I will keep reading. Thank you again for all the help.

mraroid

mraroid

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2014
I pulled the HD out of the laptop and plugged it into my windows 10 desktop. Windows saw the HD. I did a right click, properties, and to tools and error checking. It said the drive was fine. I had windows do a scan anyway. I moved my data off the HD and then put it back into my laptop. Same issue.

I think I will build a driver disk, then blow the HD away and install Windows 10 Pro. I hate to loose all my programs. :-( Thanks everyone for helping me.

mraroid

Colif

Win 11 Master
I had to go to sleep, its why i left instructions for fresh install. When you install it, only have hdd attached as windows 10 likes to share itself around otherwise

You might not need a driver disk, win 10 is pretty good at identifying hardware and will use generic drivers to connect to internet and then try to get drivers for everything in PC. Depends really on if it recognises your lan connections without additional drivers as to whether you have problems connecting to get drivers online.

All I would do is go to motherboard web site after and see if any newer drivers to ones it installs.

Solution

mraroid

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2014
My laptop is working again. I would like to thank everyone here who helped me.

After trying to fix it, I gave up. I stuck my new Windows 10 Pro full DVD in and did a clean install. At least that is what I thought I did. I removed all the partitions and was left with two. One was about 900GBs and the other was about 100GBs. I loaded my OS onto the larger partition. The install went very well. I connected my laptop via a ethernet cable before the install. After I was finished I could go on the internet. I went to Asus's web site and down load a utility that would update my drivers. It all went very well.

After the install I went to Control panel, then to System to make sure my copy of windows was activated. To my surprise, it said I was running Windows 10 Home (not windows 10 Pro). My Windows 10 Pro disk came from Amazon and I have no reason to think it is fake. I now believe that when I was using my new Windows 10 Pro DVD it may have found my original copy of Windows 10 Home on the smaller partition and used that. At least, that is the best I can come up with.

What I failed to do is copy down the activation number of my original Windows 10 Home version before my laptop broke. So I don't really know if the numbers are the same.

Anyway, things are running just fine now. I guess I can now use the Windows 10 Pro DVD to update my desktop computer running Windows 10 Home. I am not sure what the difference is between the two - I will have to read up.

I am going to buy a external HD and do back ups now. I have leaned my lesson.

Thanks again to everyone who helped me. I leaned a great deal.

mraroid

Colif

Win 11 Master
Microsoft would have a record on their servers of laptop running Win 10 home so it reactivated that licence. You said you installed it in your OP. You didn't need the activation number off laptop, it was stored on a Microsoft server. we don't need to remember that sort of thing for Win 10 after its been used once, they remember it.

You could change licence in settings/update & security/Activation if you really wanted it on Laptop.

this might help with differences: http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/feature/windows/windows-10-home-vs-pro-3618710/

Glad to help :)