Popping sound through HDMI?

ToiletDuck

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2006
Popping sound from HDMI on Intel NUC. I just received my new skull canyon and the audio makes a popping sound at the beginning and end of any sound set. Like the signal is cutting off when not in use. I THINK it has to do with the intel GPU driver as I believe that is what handles the audio when through HDMI.

I've updated drivers, most except the chipset one keeps saying it needs to reboot to finish update yet it never will update, and I've tried deleting the driver to let windows find the new hardware again. I can't figure out what I have to do.

Current setup is the Intel Skull Canyon with HDMI to yamaha receiver for audio that pass throughs video to my M60-c3 vizio TV. Before this I had used a mac mini for 3 years that had no issues. I believe this to be software related.

When I've looked on google it looks like popping sounds over hdmi is something many have come across regardless of system but either way I can't figure this one out. Help anyone?? Here is a video clip i took last night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxogOT-fPJo

First I would suggest turning off line in and microphone from the speaker properties. Then test as those can cause sound issues even while nothing is plugged in. This will tell windows to not pull sound from those ports that may produce static sound all the time.

ToiletDuck

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2006

Thank you for your reply can you maybe point me to how to do that on windows 10? I right click on the speaker and look at recording devices where it shows realtek but that it's disabled. I do see anything specific for line in or mic.

Right click on the start button and select control panel. Then select hardware and sound in control panel. Next click on sound and under sound double ckick your default output. Select the levels tab and then mute and or adjust sound to zero from those.

ToiletDuck

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2006

Thank you. Under that tab I only have one option and it's "Intel Display Audio HDMI". I'm trying to troubleshoot on the intel forums as well and they suggested i install the HDMI 2.0 drivers. I tried that and it stalls at this screen.

https://s3.postimg.org/8ae3qilw3/Capture.png

I can't figure out why the system isn't detecting its hardware. Also I keep trying to update the chipset drivers and it keeps asking me to restart. When I restart the new drivers were never installed. Getting very frustrating as I LOVE this machine. It's incredibly fast and does everything I want. If only I could get the audio working correctly.

mustafa811

Honorable
May 29, 2018
i dont know why it happens and i dont know a real fix but you can avoid it by increasing your sound sampling rate or change the pc audio from stereo to 5.1

but take care that lots of times these settings resets .. i think it is the way hdmi connects with tv as it is not permanent

this only happens with me when i use hdmi and connect it to av receiver .. it happened to me across all gpu like 970 and 480 and 1080 ti .. with x1200w and x1300w denon recievers