VGA vs D-SUB RGB

kenwood850

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2007
I have monitor with a VGA input that has died and needs replacing. It is used with a KVM switch for Linux servers that have VGA outputs. In order to expand my choices of monitors I have a few questions.

1. Can the VGA 15 pin D connector output from a video card be used with a monitor with a 15 pin D connector RGB input?

2. If it can, will the standard VGA cable work or does it require a special cable?

I have done a search with Google on this matter and the responses I have found drag in the fact that D connectors can carry all kinds of signals, that VGA is old technology and you should upgrade, and generally include DVI, HDMI, and other video modes with adapters into the picture without straight forward answers to the basic questions. Thanks.

kenwood850

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2007

I am not sure why you used a “?” after “VGA is RGB” but I believe the second line answers the question. Thank you

kenwood850

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2007

The question is, is the converse also true? Can all D-Sub RGB inputs port/connectors ‘accept’ VGA signals, it’s just that some d-sub connectors can ‘accept’ other signals as well? That was the question I was asking.