Windows 10 inaccessible boot device error

Llahmah

Commendable
Aug 27, 2016
My computer is currently in a repairing disk this may take more than an hour boot loop, before the loop my screen was not getting a signal so I powered off and unplugged my pc (no updates were running) and held down the power button, after that screen got a signal but I got the error message inaccessible boot device and it went into the loop. I took my pc into a repair place, they said that my hard drive was fine and the problem was corrupt windows files. If anyone could help I would really appreciate it, as an aside the repair guy said he had tried a multitude of solutions and that he needed the windows 10 serial code to do a clean reset, which would lose my programs. As a gamer I really didn't want to lose all of my programs, plus my friend installed windows 10 and never gave me the code, it's a legit code but we have no idea what it is, he doesn't have it either. Any suggestions appreciated.

Solution
In the case of programs, you will need to reinstall them on PC again. If you tried to copy them back onto new install, windows 10 won't see them as unless the program is installed, windows can't see it. So its pointless to save anything other than things in documents in most cases.

If its a game, for instance, it will likely have a save location in Documents folder for any saves you make. If its a program like word, it will save any documents you make to Documents folder. That is why I said to save your Documents folder in users.

Don't copy a one drive folder as if you use onedrive, everything in it now will be reinstalled by win 10 anyway so its a waste copying it.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Repair guy doesn't need code to reinstall windows 10, all you do when you get to the screen asking for a key is click "I don't have a key" and win 10 will continue install and once it connects to internet it will reactivate itself. Since you have had win 10 on the PC before, you can always reinstall it on same PC again. Microsoft are the ones who have the key codes, its matched on their servers against details of the PC and possibly the licence you originally used. You don't need to know them except for the 1st time you use them.

If you want to save all your info on C drive, tell them to try making this on another PC: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/use-ubuntu-live-cd-to-backup-files-from-your-dead-windows-computer/ and use it to copy all your files off the drive.

Colif

Win 11 Master
He might want you to prove you own it before he recovers data off PC so that could be 1 reason he asked for the code. That is an interesting question for most of us who upgraded to win 10 as we don't have a key anymore. You might have to reinstall win 10 yourself, you don't need a new key as the old one should auto activate. It would save money but I expect they want some anyway

if your friend is still around, and can help reinstall win 10, you can download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

if you use that ubuntu thing above, and copy all files off PC, then i would do a fresh install using ISB above
change boot order in BIOS so USB is first, hdd second
boot from installer
follow this guide: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-windows-10-clean-install.html

when you reach the screen asking for licence, click "I don't have a key" and win 10 will continue to install and reactivate once finished

On the screen where you choose where to install win 10, if it gives you an error about GPT drives, delete all the partitions on the hdd and press next. If it still gives error, cancel out of the installer and restart PC and start installer again, it will accept next on that screen this time (some PC just need a restart here)

Llahmah

Commendable
Aug 27, 2016
Hey colis, thanks for responding, just wondering if I make the backup but it still has the corrupt files on it, will it corrupt my computer again?

Llahmah

Commendable
Aug 27, 2016
Ok thanks! So I can copy everything on programs x86? Is the system 32 where the windows files are, because I have a lot of data all over the place, is there a specific file I can avoid or should I only download specific image/application files? Also as a last question, will the clean install erase all data? Thanks for being so helpful :D

Colif

Win 11 Master
Only files you should save are in any folders you find in c/users/username like Documents, Music, Pictures, movies. If you have other folders on C you made, you should be able to copy them but everything else will have to be reinstalled once windows 10 is installed. If you have 2 or more hdd in PC the other drive won't be touched so you could move files to it if you have space.

Clean install wipes everything

Colif

Win 11 Master
In the case of programs, you will need to reinstall them on PC again. If you tried to copy them back onto new install, windows 10 won't see them as unless the program is installed, windows can't see it. So its pointless to save anything other than things in documents in most cases.

If its a game, for instance, it will likely have a save location in Documents folder for any saves you make. If its a program like word, it will save any documents you make to Documents folder. That is why I said to save your Documents folder in users.

Don't copy a one drive folder as if you use onedrive, everything in it now will be reinstalled by win 10 anyway so its a waste copying it.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS