does hdmi with dvi connector carry audio and 60fps?

stormnimbus

Prominent
Mar 27, 2017
title pretty much says it all.
i got an asus monitor with only vga and dvi ports, 1920x1080 resolution.
and i have gtx 950 with displayport, hdmi, and dvi slots.

Solution
no, DVI doesn't carry audio.
Unless it's a specialty proprietary adapter and device.
I know for sure that the older HD4xxx series cards from AMD carried audio and came with a special DVI to HDMI adapter.

"asus monitor with only vga and dvi ports"
So your monitor doesn't have an HDMI port? Then just use a normal DVI cable.

Then just use a 3.5mm TRS cable to connect to a set of speakers. If your monitor has built in speakers then it will have an audio input jack. I would be surprised if it did though because it doesn't have HDMI.

Quaiden got it working because he just happens to have all of the right hardware.

"Some DVI-D sources use non-standard extensions to output HDMI signals including audio (e.g. ATI 3000-series and NVIDIA GTX...

Quaiden

Reputable
Sep 27, 2014
The answer is yes. In fact, on my GFX card I am using an DVI to HDMI converter to connect to my TV and it carries 60 FPS and audio.

The real question is, does your Monitor accept audio over DVI. for that you will have to look at the manufacturer's website to get details.

no, DVI doesn't carry audio.
Unless it's a specialty proprietary adapter and device.
I know for sure that the older HD4xxx series cards from AMD carried audio and came with a special DVI to HDMI adapter.

"asus monitor with only vga and dvi ports"
So your monitor doesn't have an HDMI port? Then just use a normal DVI cable.

Then just use a 3.5mm TRS cable to connect to a set of speakers. If your monitor has built in speakers then it will have an audio input jack. I would be surprised if it did though because it doesn't have HDMI.

Quaiden got it working because he just happens to have all of the right hardware.

"Some DVI-D sources use non-standard extensions to output HDMI signals including audio (e.g. ATI 3000-series and NVIDIA GTX 200-series). Some multimedia displays use a DVI to HDMI adapter to input the HDMI signal with audio. Exact capabilities vary by video card specifications."

"In the reverse scenario, a DVI display that lacks optional support for HDCP might be unable to display protected content even though it is otherwise compatible with the HDMI source. Features specific to HDMI such as remote control, audio transport, xvYCC and deep color are not usable in devices that support only DVI signals. HDCP compatibility between source and destination devices is subject to manufacturer specifications for each device."

Solution