a new graphic card or a whole new build

Siddhant_vyas

Prominent
Apr 4, 2017
Hi
So a few days ago my graphic card ie Sapphire HD6950 2GB started giving me problems it started with wierd graphical artifacts to two horizontal wide purple lines followed by a complete blackout now i m in a dilemma whether to buy a new GPU or upgrade my whole system all together..

now my current build is

AMD phenom II 1090t
ASUS m4a89gtd Pro/USB3
2 x Corsair vengeance 4gb RAM
Corsair VX550
cooler Master HAF 912 Advanced mid tower case
Seagate Baracuda 1tb HDD

The thing that i find when i as searching for a graphic card is that 1090t will bottleneck most of all the new GPUs that are out there i m afraid that it wont destabilizes the system.. and on the other hand my system is now 6-7 years old already but i m on a tight budget right now..

I do a lot of editing rendering and a moderate gaming

What should i do? a new graphic card if so please suggest some options
or should upgrade the whole system.. i was thinking of building one around AMDs Ryzen CPU

Please help

Thanks

Siddhant

First, make sure your monitor cable is plugged in correctly on both ends. >_> It might also be worth checking if another port on the card works if you have another connection option available. And maybe try the monitor on another system to make sure it's not something on the monitor's end.

Sure, the 1090T will bottleneck performance in many newer games, but that just means your system won't be able to take advantage of the higher framerates that a faster graphics card could be capable of. So, if you're on a tight budget, you might wish to just go with a lower-end card for the time being, which should still provide some improved graphics performance over your old card, without having to pay too much for performance you won't be able to make use of.

A GTX 1050 or 1050ti should provide more performance than your HD 6950, and 1050s are priced starting at a little over US $100. Even a Radeon RX 460 should provide a bit more performance than your existing card, and many of those are priced under $100.

AMD's Ryzen might be a good choice, particularly if you make use of heavily-multithreaded rendering software. If you don't need 8 cores, the Ryzen 5 series of CPUs will be launching in another week, offering some lower-priced 4 and 6-core options. Those might be worth checking out if you can wait a bit. Again though, if you considered your existing system to be "good enough" for your needs for the time being, and don't have much of a budget to put toward a new system right now, you could probably get away with buying a lower-end current generation graphics card to get your system back up and running for now.

"I do a lot of editing rendering and a moderate gaming"

Could you be more vague? hehe

My question to you is this: Were you happy with your setup until the card started giving you trouble? If yes, just replace the card and you're done. I'd look for something like an HD 7950 if you are willing to buy used, or a GTX 1050 Ti of the new cards.

I'd contact whoever makes the brand of 1050 Ti you pick if you decide to get one, ask them if it'll work on older motherboards without a UEFI bios. Better to know before you spend the money.

If you felt your system was already too slow, then there's no point to spending a bunch of money on a new card. I'd look for a used HD 7850 or similar to use while you save for a new system.

Siddhant_vyas

Prominent
Apr 4, 2017

ok Thanks! my last card was getting the job done but the rendering times were increasing no doubt.. so thats why its very confusing for me! to change the whole thing or just get a new card

Siddhant_vyas

Prominent
Apr 4, 2017

Ok thanks for the reply! can you suggest a good ryzen build for around 600-700$ or 800$...

Siddhant_vyas

Prominent
Apr 4, 2017

anything around 600-800$

Siddhant_vyas

Prominent
Apr 4, 2017

1) already did that... checked with different screens GPU is giving problems evertime! while the current monitor is running fine via onboard graphics!

2)the thing i am worried about 1090T is.. that will getting a new GPU help me for say 2 mroe years on the same config or do i have to upgrade in like a year... coz rendering times are getting higher with every new versions of maya max or after effects.. if a new improved gpu like rx460 will help me for 2 more years then its beneficial!

3)for Ryzen.. for what i ve seen online its beast for rendering and content creation while suffers a bit with gaming with which i would be perfectly ok with! so can you suggest a good build with ryzen 5/7- mid budget ranged!

Siddhant_vyas

Prominent
Apr 4, 2017

Yes it does feel slow my current system but it was getting the job done although the times were increasing or while playing games i had to keep the graphics on media and things like that but then it should be its been almost 7 years so its expected...

the thing is its very difficult to find 6000 sereis and 7000 series GPUs from amd here these days and since I m form india it a bit tougher for example 6950 is around 218$ and thats a lot in my opinion for a 7 year old GPU!

^ what's been said already - common sense dictates you just replace the GPU for the time being & see if you're happy with performance then.

If not then think about upgrading the rest of the system after youve done this.
Been watching prices on both amd & Intel CPU's dropping steadily the last few weeks & it'll happen more so with the release of ryzen 5 & later on ryzen 3.

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/7qLD4D#partlist

Guy using a 1060 on the same board there so would seem compatibility wise the 1050ti would be fine.

For Ryzen 5 I would do something like this the 1700 is placeholder for ryzen 5 1400 at 169 suggested price.
You can reuse old HDD and Case. Also can add SSD for the operating system but would add about 70~90 for 250GB.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD RYZEN 7 1700 3.0GHz 8-Core Processor ($169.00)
Motherboard: MSI B350 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard ($108.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($102.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB GAMING Video Card ($234.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 520W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($47.89 @ B&H)
Total: $663.86
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-04-06 09:02 EDT-0400

Siddhant_vyas

Prominent
Apr 4, 2017

How about getting a RX480/470/460 instead.. if things wont work i can then build my system around it!

Siddhant_vyas

Prominent
Apr 4, 2017

Thanks a lot for this bro.. thats an amazing list!!! one thing will my current corsair VX550 be enough for all this config and how abt a RX 460/70/80 instead of GTX 1060.. i ve heard AMD graphic card are much better suited to AMD cpus

That is a good quality PSU but it all depends how old it is and how long you expect it to still run I personally would not reuse a PSU thats more than 6 years old.
And yes you can switch to AMD card if you so wish but it will not run any better because of the ryzen cpu.

The RX 460, while faster than your existing card, is not that much faster, so it wouldn't be much of an upgrade over the card you had. I just pointed it out in case you were fine with the other card's performance, and just wanted to get your existing system working again at a relatively low cost. If you're planning on using the graphics card as part of your primary system for years to come, and use software that benefits significantly from GPU-based rendering, you would probably want something faster. I'm not sure whether the renderers you use benefit more from GPU or CPU performance though. Perhaps testing some renders on your system using only the integrated graphics would help indicate how much of a difference the GPU makes.

I'm sure there will be a lot more information about how the various Ryzen 5 chips perform next week, once they are available and reviewers start releasing benchmarks for them. I would say that if your rendering software benefits significantly from multi-core rendering on the CPU, that it might potentially be worth spending a bit more on a 6 core, 12 thread Ryzen than on a 4 core, 8 thread one like the 1400. The 6 core models start at US $219 for the 1600.

Siddhant_vyas

Prominent
Apr 4, 2017

Thanks a lot! Noted! a new PSU it is then!

Siddhant_vyas

Prominent
Apr 4, 2017

cool i ll wait for a week and then decide on what to do... if ryzen 1600 or 1600x proved to be excelling at rendering then ryzen it is.
thanks a lot for the reply!

Siddhant_vyas

Prominent
Apr 4, 2017

That is amazing!!! i m very exited for Ryzen 5 now!!

Btw i am zeroing on a GPU i m thinking RX480!! which one should i get? Asus Strix, Sapphire Nitro, MSI or stock AMD???
or is there a better car in the same budget as RX480 for rendering editing and some gaming!

Siddhant_vyas

Prominent
Apr 4, 2017
Finally got Ryzen 1700+Asus x370 Prime+MSI RX 580 8gb Gaming x... an adata su800 120gb sdd and Life is pretty good..
Thanks everyone for you suggestions