You Can Now Download The Windows 10 Creators Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

dstarr3

Distinguished
"Improved" privacy settings. Yes, I'm sure MS will benefit greatly from their improvements. Let me know when they finally make some changes for the benefit of the consumer instead.

Jsimenhoff

Community Manager
Editor
Feb 28, 2016
"A picture-in-picture mode for streaming videos while pretending to work"

I definitely, 100%, will not be using this feature at work. *whistles innocently*

alextheblue

Distinguished
Install went smooth, everything working fine. Gonna use Edge for a while. These days I only really use Edge and FF at home and Chrome at work (Win7 boxes). I used to run Opera, especially before they switched to Chromium. Not sure if Edge is ready for full-time use but it's working surprisingly well so far even with default settings.

There's a few big improvements to Edge. The big one: it blocks a lot of Flash content by default now. You can unblock Flash content on a per-site basis "Once" or "Always" if you need it. It's a couple of mouseclicks away with an icon in the upper right. You can still of course disable Flash altogether with a few clicks (advanced settings), but so far the default mode strikes a good balance. I'm running TH (almost left that as THG, old habits die hard) and AT with Adguard disabled, but I still enable Adguard for sites that are unknown to me, super abusive, or I otherwise don't trust.

They also added the ability to set tabs aside for later. This is obviously not a cutting-edge feature, but it's good to see it in the pack-in default browser. I won't fault them for adding useful features, even if they aren't the first to do so. I'll leave that to someone that still types M$ like it's cool 20 years later. The last major change to Edge I care about is the "show tab previews" arrow. It appears just to the right of the new tab button, and just like it says it shows a preview image of all current tabs. It's like mousing over the tab preview, but for all tabs at once. Also not revolutionary, but it's handy to have.

The rest of the changes probably won't affect me much personally, outside of Game Mode. But I figure Game Mode is going to see a lot of coverage so I'm not going to bother fiddling with it right now. Also it require game support, which hopefully we will see for more and more titles. I suspect it will primarily affect the number and severity of hiccups (minimum FPS) on humble spec'd PCs, but I don't think it will impact average/peak FPS much if any. At any rate, it's nice to see them doing something like this - it's a free boost for rigs with older/cheaper processors that don't have threads to spare. It's really good of them to offer, and if you don't want to use it, just ignore it. For those who absolutely do not want anything to do with it (even though it doesn't hurt anything by existing and you can safely ignore it), please just disable everything and don't rampage internet forums screaming about an optional feature. Thanks. I love you all.

sonichedgehog360

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2008
*via the Media Creation tool. Some "purists" prefer getting the official ISO image instead of the on-the-fly created one from the Media Creation tool.

sonichedgehog360

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2008
In the past, I used the tool and it did indeed create a temporary folder and build the ISO from that. That was back around the initial release of Windows 10, though, so perhaps things have changed.

sonichedgehog360

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2008
And in fact, you are right. Your OS installation is no cleaner or better from the official ISO or an ISO created via a tool. The OS files along with installation sequence are completely identical.

sonichedgehog360

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2008
This time around, I personally used the final build's ESD from the Insiders community and converted that into an ISO with an available tools.

sonichedgehog360

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2008

Dolby just released a couple days ago Dolby Access, the required app which will do all the audio processing. However, it is just a placeholder for the time being until they add in and enable the actual Dolby Atmos virtual surround processing.

mikeynavy1976

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
For those that have installed the update...I assume that afterward it creates the Windows.old folder? Any issues using disk cleanup to remove? I remember that being a pain to get removed for a lot of people when current update was released.

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
M$ bots in this thread please raise your hand.
(I mean lawyers disguised as pc enthusiasts, or pc enthusiasts bribed to pretend they are using M$).
Nah... statistics will be skewed anyway towards the pile of <mod edit> with more money.

<Mod Note: You've been a member here long enough to know better than to use that language in these forums>

G

No thanks. Happily running Windows 7.

Speaking of Game Mode, it is just a marketing. You won't get any gain.

Swear again and you'll get banned.

- Josh, Assistant Community Manager

Why all the thumbs down? They are nosy and greedy. And if I do eventually download this Microsoft will probably reset my settings, reactivate Cortana and make many other changes I don't want. I will wait and see how it goes before I dive in this shark tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.