BSOD from Malwarebytes led to missing files maybe corrupted profile?

gman009

Prominent
Apr 4, 2017
I was having BSOD issues that I believe were caused by Malwarebytes. A Microsoft tech didn't think that was the case and recommended that I disable all start up processes and then turn them on one by one to figure out what was causing the issue. Once I did that I was locked out of windows. I finally was able to figure out how to get back in but don't see any of my files. I tried undelete programs like recuva, easeus, and minitool with no luck. I'm told that is what is odd is that there is absolutely no trace of these files. Is anyone aware of a similar issue that corrupted a user profile or completely wiped files? I've run chkdsk and sfc multiple times and neither detect any errors.

Solution
You shouldn't need to install the linux USB to see the files - I haven't ever had to use it but the others i have given it to seem to be able to save files just booting off USB

perhaps the bsod weren't malwarebytes? its hard to tell after the fact. Maybe it was a virus or your lan drivers (malwarebytes new version does crash but often its also blamed for lan drivers making it crash)

What is there really depends on what windows looks like now. I would put hdd into another PC and look at folders with it. Should be able to take ownership of some user folders and see whats inside

What reset/repairs?

Depending on how you got back to desktop, you might have been in a guest account which didn't have permissions to your documents but they...

Colif

Win 11 Master
so tech got you to do a clean boot and it went wrong << thats a 1st.

your files should be there?

it may have broken your login but try making this on another PC: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/use-ubuntu-live-cd-to-backup-files-from-your-dead-windows-computer/ and see if linux can see anything.

gman009

Prominent
Apr 4, 2017
Really appreciate the suggestion. I've booted to ubuntu but have not installed out of fear of overwriting the HD. Do I have additional search features on full install? I have not been able to find the files with a basic search. I was able to get around the mounting issue by shutting win 10 down fully. Everyone that analyzes this issue can't believe that win 10 completely wiped the files from my HD but are equally perplexed that they can't find them. One hypothesized that if malwarebytes did in fact corrupt my profile the repair/reset failed attempts may have overwritten that space on the HD. What do you think?

Colif

Win 11 Master
You shouldn't need to install the linux USB to see the files - I haven't ever had to use it but the others i have given it to seem to be able to save files just booting off USB

perhaps the bsod weren't malwarebytes? its hard to tell after the fact. Maybe it was a virus or your lan drivers (malwarebytes new version does crash but often its also blamed for lan drivers making it crash)

What is there really depends on what windows looks like now. I would put hdd into another PC and look at folders with it. Should be able to take ownership of some user folders and see whats inside

What reset/repairs?

Depending on how you got back to desktop, you might have been in a guest account which didn't have permissions to your documents but they should still exist on hdd

Solution