Slow 30 second boot times on SSD

WillAwesomeGeek

Reputable
Jan 10, 2015
Hi,

I have had slow boot times for a while but assumed it was normal. However was on the internet the other day and people were saying they get 7 seconds with a SSD. Mine is always 30-40 so I am trying to work out why.

What I have done so far:
Tweaked Msconfig
Turned off unwanted start up programs and services
Fast boot enabled in bios
Options not used turned off in bios
Booted with one stick of ram in case faulty
Used a different Graphics Card
Unplugged anything unnecessary for rear io and pcie

It takes a long time to start post. (From pressing the power button to post screen)
Takes a while after post
Takes about 5 seconds after login

PC Specs:
CPU: FX-9590
RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz
M/B: Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0
Graphics Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 750 Ti
SSD (Main Boot Drive) : Samsung 850 EVO 120GB
Storage Drives (Dynamic):
500GB WD HDD (WD5000AAKS-00YGA0)
500GB Seagate HDD (ST3500418AS)
1TB Seagate SSHD (ST1000DX001-1CM162)

Thanks, Hope you can help.

Solution
Is it possible to state where you found people say they booted up to their OS in 7 seconds? I have a similar system to your albeit crippled and it boots to OS in 35 seconds with all my background apps loaded.

In any case it wont hurt to know if you're on the latest BIOS revision+how many apps you have running within the background post startup/getting onto GUI/OS.

theyeti87

Honorable
How long does it actually stay on the windows load screen?
Everything before the Windows screen is going through POST and other initializations of motherboard services. You don't start pulling from storage until BIOS/UEFI is ready to look for Windows.

I also have an 850 EVO, SATA III. But it still takes 45seconds from power button push to desktop. It's not due to a slow SSD, but rather all the checks that happen before Windows is loaded.

I've got an ultrabook with a Crucial MX200 SSD that boots 9 seconds. Depends on the motherboard.

Lutfij

Titan
Is it possible to state where you found people say they booted up to their OS in 7 seconds? I have a similar system to your albeit crippled and it boots to OS in 35 seconds with all my background apps loaded.

In any case it wont hurt to know if you're on the latest BIOS revision+how many apps you have running within the background post startup/getting onto GUI/OS.

Solution

WillAwesomeGeek

Reputable
Jan 10, 2015

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/topicfromemail/id/3380447?userId=1872866&answerId=19526169&hash=c7430423224a2ce79a46affba097d32700b4fe91&xitiTracker=EPR-8809

I still think the time I am getting is too slow I only have 3 things starting on my OS (Antivirus,Mouse,Keyboard)
I have latest bios.
Should a do a clean install?

WillAwesomeGeek

Reputable
Jan 10, 2015

Do you mean after logging in or after post

Lutfij

Titan
MERGED QUESTION
Question from WillAwesomeGeek : "Slow 30 second boot times on SSD"

theyeti87

Honorable