Pc won't sleep or shut down, only restart

Scout779

Prominent
Apr 6, 2017
Hello all,
I really hope I'm posting in the right section, I've never had to do this before.
My Windows 10 pc I recently built won't sleep or shut down, only restart. I've tried every fix I could find, including updating my bios, turning off fast boot, changing all the power options for the power plan, and reinstalling windows completely. As you can imagine, it's very annoying having to turn off the power supply whenever I shut it down. Any help would be appreciated. Also, the power button is blinking, if that matters.
My specs are as follows:
i3-7100
ASrock z270 Gaming ITX/ac
Msi GTX 1060 Gaming X
16g G.Skill Ripjaws V
Samsung ssd and WD hdd

Thanks,
Ben

ncoolidge

Prominent
Apr 3, 2017
I'm pretty sure the shutdown process in Windows is controlled by the ACPI Drivers. Go to "Device Manager" in control panel, and check that you have the correct ACPI drivers under the "System devices" category.

If that doesn't work, you can force your PC to shutdown after the "Shutting Down" screen disappears by pressing the power button for 5-10 seconds. You won't harm your PC by doing this as long as Windows has fully shut down.

yamahahornist

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2012
When you mean only restart do you mean if you hit the power button on the computer??? Or when you click shutdown in windows. If its a problem with the in Windows shutdown option; then search power options and look for the "What the power button does" option; maybe there all set to restart. If its when you hit the physical power then you probably installed the cases power, restart, HDD Led little pins incorrectly on your motherboard. Maybe you put the restart one in the shutdown header on the motherboard??

Scout779

Prominent
Apr 6, 2017

When I use the power button or hit restart in Windows, it shuts down for a few seconds then boots back up. I have the shutdown options set correctly, but thanks.

Scout779

Prominent
Apr 6, 2017

I have 3 drivers related to acpi: ACPI Fixed Feature Button, acpi power button, and acpi processor aggregator, if those help. I hit "update driver software" but they were all up to date. Thanks!

Raz_Crimson

Reputable
Feb 11, 2017

<p>What options do you see when you open the power off menu in the start menu?
If Standby and Hibernate appear in them, what happens when you press them?

Scout779

Prominent
Apr 6, 2017

I see sleep, shut down, and restart, nothing else.

Raz_Crimson

Reputable
Feb 11, 2017
That will be better, But change brands only if you want. Check the New board for errors. ASRock is not a bad brand, but if you want to change, you can change to brands like ASUS, Gigabyte.

Rikkof

Reputable
Jul 29, 2015
Is not a problem with your mobo, imho
I have the exact same issue, if i try to shut down my pc, teh screen goes black on my monitor , liek shutting down, but mt pc leds, my video card leds and lights, the lights on keyboard and mouse are still working

I can also hear some rumble from inside the pc
So, i have to physically press the power button from behind my pc and cut the power supply for a second or two
my motherboard is an asus p8b75-m and before i installed the CU Win 10 update i never had this issue
I didn't do a clean install as i thou the CU update was just a patch , not a full update of windows, if i would have known i would have made a full reset of my pc

Well, i will do that over the weekend and reinstall CLEAN and FRESH the windows 10 CU, some ppl say that by doing so it resolves issues, it looks like old windows setup leaves trails on this instal and they are conflicting, so a fresh install is better
The bad part is having to redownload all my stuff again :(

Raz_Crimson

Reputable
Feb 11, 2017

Well good luck with your Clean Install!!

Scout779

Prominent
Apr 6, 2017
Just changed out the mobo with an old one I had lying around, and it works perfectly now. Just ordered an msi z270 gaming m3, hopefully that'll work out. Thanks all for the help!

ogentile1

Prominent
Oct 28, 2017
I just fixed my issue where I couldn't restart or shutdown successfully in Windows or using the Power button fully. Screens went blank but fans and case lights on.

It was the BIOS update v2.2 for me. Not sure if a version issue or just the install didn't 100% work. A reinstall didn't work of the same version. I went back to v2.0 using InstantFlash on USB and it works 100% now. Full restart and shutdown from windows and using the power button shutdown feature (not the hold it down for 5-10 seconds, that always worked).

My specs fyi are ASROCK Z270 Pro with i7 7700 CPU with generic 16GB RAM using SSD for OS Win10 Home 64bit