Temporary Internet Files Cannot Be Removed

Lopperuk

Reputable
Dec 26, 2014
According to Disk Cleanup there is 11.9GB of 'temporary internet files' taking up space in my hard drive, I really need the space since it's only a 120GB SSD. The problem is I have no idea how to access the folder, as you can see in the pictures below even when I click on 'view files' it just goes to an empty folder with nothing in it, trying to clean the 11.9gb does absolutely nothing either, the only conclusion I can find is a folder in C:\Users\(user)\App Data\Local\ (the same folder is also in C:\Users\(user)\App Data\Local\Microsoft\Windows) titled Temporary Internet Files however this is not even a folder its just a shortcut and I cannot access it at all. The only reason I even found it was because I used RidNacs to see what was hiding. I know there is nothing else taking up the space because all of those files were there before and there aren't any random 11.9GB folders anywhere.

HSIZfPe.jpg

4s5XyPy.jpg

So how exactly do I find and delete these hidden files? and no I'm not talking about the Content.IE5 folder, that folder is completely empty and of no use.

Thanks.

Lopperuk

Reputable
Dec 26, 2014

It does absolutely nothing, I click it, it asks what drive, the box pops back up, I make sure the temporary internet files box is selected, I click ok, it cleans and when I start disk cleanup back up nothing has changed.

USAFRet

Titan

See above for Browser History

Lopperuk

Reputable
Dec 26, 2014

That just brings me to a different folder with barely anything in it. 'C:\Users\(user)\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache' to be exact

rgd1101

Don't

Have the View system and hidden file on? what in those directory inside inetcache?
try the "move folder" to a new directory and delete this INetcache

Lopperuk

Reputable
Dec 26, 2014

Yeah the folder options are set to view hidden and system files. There's nothing much in those folders just random 1kb files. Tried deleting it but it just said it was in use, can't even delete it while browser is closed. Tried using Unlocker on it, didn't really work. Have to wait til reset to remove it, no point though I'm pretty sure that folder is empty.

Lopperuk

Reputable
Dec 26, 2014

Yeah I see what you mean but unfortunately it's just a bunch of folders with nothing in them, unless somehow there are files that are even more hidden there's nothing in that directory.

gardenman

Splendid
A few more questions... RidNacs shows me the exact cache files, they are not hidden in there. Here is a screenshot of RidNacs on my PC. Is your Windows account running as Admin?

2nd, I know you said you have hidden files showing, but just be sure that "Hide protected operating system files" is unchecked. That's different from "Hidden files and folders".

PS: If you do find the files and delete them, there's no guarantee that this won't cause problems... it's unlikely to, but you never can tell. Do it at your own risk.

Consider running a disk error check. Sometimes if there are errors on the disk, files can be deleted but the space won't be freed up.

* I meant to say Edge earlier, not Chrome.

Lopperuk

Reputable
Dec 26, 2014

Yeah Ridnacs does show everything but if thats the case its almost as if there's some invisible part of the drive being taken up by nothing. Yes my account is admin of course, I can access everything no problem. Did have hide protected files unticked, didn't show anything interesting. Hmm yeah ran a chkdsk, no problems with the drive. Could be anything at this point.

Lopperuk

Reputable
Dec 26, 2014

Nothing to delete though, can't find wherever the alleged 11.9gb of temporary internet files are. Infact its gone up to 12gb. I wonder if I have some kind of virus.