Can my pc handle VR

Status
Not open for further replies.

satachi

Reputable
Apr 21, 2015
Hi guys im about to get into Virtual reality and just wondering if my computer can handle it or if i need anything. Specs below
GPU - Gigabyte Gtx 980Ti
CPU - Intel core i5-4460
MB - Gigabyte GA-H96 Gaming 3
Psu - 500w evga 500b
Ram- x2 G-skill Rip jaw X 4gb (8gb) Thank you very much for your time

Solution
Oculus has lowered the minimum requirements for the Rift, so your Core i5-4460 is more than plenty now. The link posted by Potato285 is outdated with respect to the Rift.

The CPU is technically slightly below the minimum requirement for the Vive, but these specs are only approximate and the difference between a 4590 and 4460 is tiny. Realistically you shouldn't run into significant performance issues with a Vive. But a Rift is the safer bet on that front.

The VR headset takes a single HDMI port, and you can just plug your monitor(s) into the other display outputs.

RaidHobbit

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2014
Your CPU is below the minimum spec advertised on VR Headsets (i5-4590 min). Everything else is okay although as I found with my GPU check you got a model with more than 1 HDMI socket or you would need a DVI to HDMI to connect your pc to your screen when using your VR Headset.

What country are you in? If the UK try CCL Computers for the cpu with MOBO as they are usually the cheapest (and I can confirm they have been reliable several times now). Also if you arent buying just yet ACER are on the verge of releasing their VR Headset and its expected to be in the PS4 VR price range not like Oculus or Vive.

satachi

Reputable
Apr 21, 2015
Raid hobbit sorry for the down vote i dont know exactly how to reply there. So it sounds like my cpu would bottleneck under the other components? My gpu has 3 hdmi ,a digital port and 2 dvi ports i believe thats enough for the rift or something similar. Im in new Zealand cpu's ain't that expensive here. Would it be worth overclocking the cpu?

Oculus has lowered the minimum requirements for the Rift, so your Core i5-4460 is more than plenty now. The link posted by Potato285 is outdated with respect to the Rift.

The CPU is technically slightly below the minimum requirement for the Vive, but these specs are only approximate and the difference between a 4590 and 4460 is tiny. Realistically you shouldn't run into significant performance issues with a Vive. But a Rift is the safer bet on that front.

The VR headset takes a single HDMI port, and you can just plug your monitor(s) into the other display outputs.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.