Stuttering PC, Random Monitor shutdowns, and static noise through speakers. HELP!

Willem v Z

Prominent
Apr 7, 2017
Hello,

I recently built my very own PC and I ran into alot of problems!

Specs:
- Intel I7 7700k 4.2
- ASrock SLI Killer motherboard
- Geforce GTX 1060 Founders edition
- NZXT Kraken x62 AiO Cooler
- 2x8GB G-Skill Trident RGB 3200
- Thermaltake Core p3 Case
- Rokit KRK G3 Studio Monitor set
- Corsair RM650X PSU

(If you need more info, just ask)

So the issues I came across after I set everything up:
- PC stuttering whenever I do ANYTHING -> new tab, new window, new tab in a game, load a program you name it, it'll stutter (even randomly whilst playing music VIA Itunes)
- Noise coming from my speakers thats related to ANY action I'm doing with my PC -> Extremely annoying
- Random black screens -> Force reboot, or I have to turn PC off manually (Havent found out exactly how to make this happen yet)
- Slow when being put to work so to speak, my older pc was much worse performance wise and it outclassed this one for whatever reason.

Does anyone know how to fix this? Things I've tried so far:

- Different wall outlets to combat the static/buzzing noise - Failed
- Different Cables from my PSU to GPU - Failed
- Removed the riser cable from GPU - Fixed Youtube issue (Pixelated video's, extremely slow loading times + stuttering)
- Different RAM - Failed

So you see, I need help BADLY!

Thank you for reading.

Ralston18

Titan
Run Task Manager, Perfomance Monitor, and Resource Monitor to look behind the scenes with regards to processes, services, and applications. Could be some buggy software or related hardware issue.

Are you seeing any error messages: via pop-up screens or Event Viewer?

The GTX 1060 spec's recommend 400w. Your PSU is 650w. Could be that all the installed components are drawing more power than expected. Total up the loads and determine the actual total power load.

Pull the GPU and use just the motherboard's video adapter port. See if that change stabilizes the PC.

The objective is to simplify things and narrow down the possible problem sources.

Willem v Z

Prominent
Apr 7, 2017

Hello,

I removed the riser cable and put the GPU directly into the motherboard. This stabilized my PC! But the bigger issue still remains and that is static coming from the speaker. Whenever I plug in/out the jack everything freezes and you get this really loud BOOM sound.

The PSU has built in some sort of fan control that it wont spin if not needed. So my guess would be its powerfull enough.

Thank you, hope to hear back from you soon

Ralston18

Titan
I would surmise that the "BOOM" is the result of some initial electrical discharge occurring duing the plug in/out process. Possibly an intermittent short circuit with a spark when first connected or being disconnected.

There are a number of forum members herein very well versed in audio systems and speakers. Hopefully one of them will provide additional comments and suggestions.

First try the speakers connection to another device.

Likewise try another set of speakers on your PC.

The purpose is to determine if the BOOM and static follows the speakers or stays with the PC. If the PC, take a close look at the audio port. See if it is loose, or cracked, maybe debris inside. If speakers, examine the plug - may be bent, crushed, etc. Does not take much.

Remember, only change one thing at a time.

As for the PSU - don't guess. Figure it out just to be fairly sure that the PSU is not the problem. Even then consider that the quality of some products is not all that good. Even though the stated wattage may be enough that does not mean that the PSU is really up to the task.

Would not rely on the fan's spinning or not to be a good indicator of what is going on. E.g., the fan may spin but is it spinning fast enough to provide the necessary cooling?

Willem v Z

Prominent
Apr 7, 2017
Somebody told me to check power usage settings to see if that changed anything, and yes it did. The lower the usage, the lower the static noise whilst idle.

The following things I aslo noticed:
- Speaker turned on, without XLR connected to them, just power cable, generates the same white noise.
- Headphone plugged in directly to the motherboard now also gives me static noise.
- Moving my mouse no longer increases the static noise.
- Tried cheap logitech speakers, had no white noise whilst idle, but did pick up the motherboard static.
- Switched out PSU, no different results.

Ralston18

Titan
First, it does appear that the PSU may now be ruled out....

Not sure about your reference to "XLR connected" - do you have mixers or other audio components?

Motherboard audio port or audio card in PCIx slot?

Keep working/troubleshooting it down to just one situation that you can create at will.

Do some "wiggle testing". By that I mean go along any audio related cables in use and gently twist, pull, bend etc. to see if the noise changes in any manner. Focus on the plugs. Also be sure to carefully inspect the ports being used.

Motherboard seems to be a constant with respect to the static.

Probably a good idea to power down the PC, unplug it, open the case, and inspect all internal connections, cables, and card seatings.

Willem v Z

Prominent
Apr 7, 2017
My PC is only connected to the Rokit's, I have a different setup with a mixer and cd players in another room.

I connect my pc via 3.5m to xlr, and unplugging those xlr still gives me a white noise from the speakers. Currently not using a soundcard, so it;'s plugged directly into the motherboard

I did the wiggletest and nothing changed

I'm using a open frame PC, everything is mounted on 1 plate, google thermaltake core p3 if you need a reference on that :D
I checked everything, and it's all installed/put in place properly.

Thank you.