Having issues booting computer after installing new HDD

CrusadingKnight

Honorable
Apr 4, 2015
Alright, so I'll make this quick, here's the run down:

1.) I own a prebuilt computer (I've heard this means the OS is on the Mobo) with Windows 10 and with some added hardware. (I have not replaced the Mobo)
2.) Everything on my computer was running great
3.) My hardrive just recently went bad, (~5 years old) and I had to replace it
4.) I just put in the new one
5.) Computer states "Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key"
6.) I checked to see if the HDD shows up in the Bios, it does.
7.) I'm stuck and not knowledgable enough to solve the issue.

I'd appreciate any help I can get.

Additional notes:
Booting options are as follows:

Boot Options priorities:
1.) WDC WD10J....... (My hard drive, WD black 1 tb)
2.) Asus DVD RAM

CSM (Bolded is current selection):
*Boot Device control:
-UEFI and Legacy OpROM
-Legacy OpROM only
-UEFI only
*Boot from Network devices:
-Legacy OpROM first
-UEFI first
-Ignore
*Boot from Storage Devices:
-Both, Legacy OpROM first
-Both, UEFI first
-Legacy OpROM first
-UEFI first
-Ignore
*Boot from PCIe/PCI Expansion Devices:
-Legacy OpROM first
-UEFI first

Let me know if you need any other info on my computer or Bios settings, thank you for your time!

If the hdd you installed is new there's nothing on it. You have to install windows or something on it to make it bootable

So you need a windows flash drive or dvd. So you can install windows on the new hdd

DMinion

Honorable
Aug 19, 2013
You need to reinstall windows, do you have a USB drive or cd of windows 10? Prebuilt usually come with windows pre-installed. I'm presuming windows was on your hard drive that went bad so now that you have a new hard drive in there your computer is looking for where to boot windows from.

DMinion

Honorable
Aug 19, 2013

Beat me to it ;)

CrusadingKnight

Honorable
Apr 4, 2015

Yes, as you said windows was pre-installed, so how would I go about recovering the windows from my old HDD to my new one since I have no key?

No probs. Since your mobo supports UEFI select GPT partition in rufus add the ISO after you download it. Then clck on start

Then once it finishes reboot, boot from the flash drive. Enable AHCI, secureboot and UEFI in the bios if youre installing 64 bit. Before you install windows