Updated to Windows 10 v1703 - certain apps crashing on open

phybron

Reputable
Feb 18, 2014
Hardware: i5-4670k, GTX1070, ASUS Z87I-DELUXE, 16GB RAM, 250GB 850 EVO SSD.

1703 has reset my keyboard remaps, so I'm trying to reapply them. KeyTweak won't open. I've reinstalled it and it still won't open. I downloaded Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator and that crashes after the first window of the install. SharpKeys won't install either; it crashes explorer on opening the download file.

HWiNFO wants an update, but the download crashes explorer on open as well.
I've run sfc /scannow and got no errors. Restarted, checked for updates etc. Nothing doing. Any ideas? I really need to remap a couple of keys.

Colif

Win 11 Master
can try dism but i suspect it own't help

right click start button
choose powershell (admin)
copy/paste this command into powershell
Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth

dism fixes the image (its sort of obvious from link)

phybron

Reputable
Feb 18, 2014

I upgraded from whatever the last most up-to-date version of Windows 10 was. I'm contemplating reverting to that from the USB ISO I have, or making a new ISO of 1703 and doing a clean install.

The best bit is before upgrading everything more or less worked, but sfc /scannow always found errors. Now it finds no errors, but a bunch of stuff is thoroughly broken.

phybron

Reputable
Feb 18, 2014

I tried that via DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth in the Admin command prompt, but it can't find the source.
Tried your command in the PowerShell and get the same problem: 'The restore operation failed. Either the repair source was not found or the component store cannot be repaired.'

Colif

Win 11 Master
Asking for source... okay then. These are standard instructions, if you already have a copy of ISO, then don't get it again

Download a copy of the win 10 iso from Here - create ISO by telling it you want to make DVD - and then mount that ISO in file explorer (see Here) and then copy paste the below command into command prompt (admin) or powershell (Admin) - same command works in both places.

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /source:WIM:X:\Sources\Install.wim:1 /LimitAccess
Where "X" is the drive letter where the ISO is located. Simply change the "X" to the correct drive letter

phybron

Reputable
Feb 18, 2014

I figured it out, eventually: it was MacType. There's a patch but it's still a bit dodgy. I've just removed it for now.