Two 144hz monitors connected to r9 390 via DP. Both set to 144hz. The 2nd monitor actually spits out 60hz. The software lies!!

Wesley_12

Prominent
Apr 8, 2017
Title says most of it. I have an AOC G2460PF as my primary for gaming because it has V-Sync but i tend not to use it. The second monitor is an AOC G2460PQU, both connected via DisplayPort. I have set both monitors to 144hz via display settings in Windows 10 (and have also tried this in Ubuntu). The primary clearly refreshes at 144hz and it shows. Scrolling, gaming, resizing are all very smooth and look great. On the second monitor which has been set to 144hz, my AMD Radeon Settings TELLS me it is set at 144hz, as well as the monitors on-screen display settings, as well as Windows 10 display settings, but it is obvious that the monitor is ACTUALLY spitting out a rate lower than 144hz (I suspect 60hz based on visuals alone).

It is so frustrating because I have not seen any solutions to this, but to summarize: all display settings that I can pull up on my PC tell me the secondary is set to 144hz, but it is plainly obvious that the actual refresh rate is much less than that. You can tell simply by comparing mouse ghosting on both monitors or resizing windows or any visual test such as the UFO website (im blanking on the name). So, all pieces of software that tells you the refresh rate is effectively lying to my face, and I can plainly see that the second monitor is not actually running at 144hz. Has anyone seen this issue on any other forums?

Again, based on software alone, one would believe that my second monitor is in fact running at 144hz, but the visuals tell a different story and I have no idea what is going on, but it seems as though no matter what settings I change, the second monitor appears to be locked at what appears to be 60hz, even though all display settings software (AMD, Windows, Ubuntu, etc.) tell me its 144hz. Please help me if you can. This should not be a GPU problem because I have an r9 390 and a i5-4690k. I am at a complete loss on what I should do.

game on it, run fraps. I don't see how the OSD could say its 144 and it not be though.

What happens if you switch the cables and make the other monitor the primary display, what happens then?

and if you have a monitor with freesync and a amd card, why not use it?

Fraps tells you exactly how many frames you are getting. Have you never used it to game with. It goes up and down all the time showing the FPS you are currently getting.

Kalevra

Reputable
Mar 14, 2015

Incorrect. Fraps tells you how many frames your PC is capable of. If you have a 60hz monitor, you're not going to get more than that even if fraps tells you you're getting 100. Your frames are limited to your monitor.

Wesley_12

Prominent
Apr 8, 2017

I have physically swapped the monitors on my dual monitor stand as well as switched the cables in either setup, but one way or another, one monitor ALWAYS appears at a lower refresh rate than what the OSD/Windows/AMD settings tell me, they all tell me it should be 144hz.

JDubstep

Commendable
Aug 22, 2016
- First question: Is there a way to disable the Free Sync soft/hardware? If so, try that.
- Next question: Do you still have the integrated graphics with your CPU still installed?
- Follow up question: Are you willing to uninstall the IGFX with DDU to run purely off of the AMD GPU driver? I would highly suggest uninstalling all AMD drivers you have as well (http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html).
- Assuming you pursue that route, reinstall the current AMD graphics drivers, but choose the minimal setup by choosing your GPU and OS manually.
- Now try to adjust your monitor refresh rates via the 'Display adapter properties' in Windows.
- Please provide any follow up.