Accidentally shut off my desktop while window 10 was updating and now I keep having black screen

Jmaris

Prominent
Apr 8, 2017
So I accidentally shut off my desktop while it's updating and now when I try to boot it, it leads to the black screen after the windows loading screen. I try everything I can find about fixing it with no luck.
Any suggestions will be great!

Solution
From a working system, create a Win 10 install DVD or USB.
Here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Boot from that and run the install process.
It might recognize what has happened and simply fix the system. The current Win 10 ISO from there is the fresh release that would have been pushed to your system next week anyway...or it is the Update that you were doing anyway.

You should not need the license key. The OS should recognize your system as having Win 10 on it before, and activate itself.

WayneTech

Reputable
Feb 22, 2017
hey,

If you powered off your PC during the INSTALLATION process, its very likely your operating system has corrupted.
The issue here is that during the install process, windows deletes the old version and then replaces it with the new update you just downloaded. When the PC powered off, you prevented the new version of windows from being presented onto your PC leaving the some files half transferred etc. This results in corruption.

If you have a Windows 10 Disc you can quite easily repair / install a fresh version of the newest Windows 10 in a short period of time as long as you have your prepaid Product key.

alternatively, you can make a bootable flash drive and install the latest windows 10 ISO image from Microsoft's website and install from there.

(both ways require the product key)

I hope this helps

USAFRet

Titan
From a working system, create a Win 10 install DVD or USB.
Here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Boot from that and run the install process.
It might recognize what has happened and simply fix the system. The current Win 10 ISO from there is the fresh release that would have been pushed to your system next week anyway...or it is the Update that you were doing anyway.

You should not need the license key. The OS should recognize your system as having Win 10 on it before, and activate itself.

Solution

Jmaris

Prominent
Apr 8, 2017

Ok so I got Win 10 on a flash drive. How exactly can I boot from that? Does it just work automatically or is there something I need to do?

USAFRet

Titan

Power off.
Plug the USB in.
Power up.
What happens?

Jmaris

Prominent
Apr 8, 2017

Booted, went to the windows loading screen, Been loading for a short while, change to a loading screen without the windows logo and then goes black

Jmaris

Prominent
Apr 8, 2017

Sorry for asking but how can I get to the BIOS?

USAFRet

Titan

In the motherboard user manual, it will say what key press to invoke this.
DEL, F2, or similar.

Jmaris

Prominent
Apr 8, 2017

I got it to work! I'll update after I finish the set up to say if it works or not.

So I put in the code and it all seems well until a message up out saying that "The Upgrade option isn't available if you start your computer using Windows installation media."
Any ideas?

Edit 3- Never mind, I figure it out. will update if anything happens

Edit 4- so I finish and when it go to the loading part it leads to the black screen again. Is there something I missed? When the boot manager was up, it says that I have two windows 10

Edit 5- ITS ALIVE! But my files are gone tho. But my hard drive is still have the same amount of storage as before. Any chance of recovery or is that pretty much that

DayleDiamond

Commendable
Nov 20, 2016
So I put in the code and it all seems well until a message up out saying that "The Upgrade option isn't available if you start your computer using Windows installation media."
Any ideas?

Edit 3- Never mind, I figure it out. will update if anything happens

I'm right where you were. getting the same error. What did you figure out and how did you recover your old files?