Why does my PC freeze and crash so often recently?

Silferwulf

Prominent
Apr 8, 2017
Hello, I have been having a major issue with my pc recently.

I have a Lenovo G500 laptop with W10, an Intel i7 CPU, and 8GB of RAM of a couple of years old. It doesn't have the best GPU (Intel 4000 or something?) for gaming but I like to play World of Tanks on it in minimum graphics settings which still gives me 60 fps. This has been working for years.

However, lately, when I use my laptop (not only when I am gaming) it sometimes freezes everything for like a minute or so (sometimes even 2 or 3 minutes). I am unable to use anything. When I am gaming, first the sounds start failing (sounds only are hearable for half a second every now and then). Then it also says to me that my connection dropped even though I can keep playing for a minute or so. After that minute, it freezes everything for another minute (can't switch between windows or anything) and after that everything continues although my game crashed. Sometimes it doesn't have to crash and I can keep on playing after the freeze.

It happens way too often now (once every hour) and I can't seem to fix it. I have noticed my pc is running everything in 32-bit although I have never noticed that before in my task manager but according to this site that shouldn't be a problem.

If you guys have any clue what I can do to fix this (is it hardware or software problem?) I would be most grateful!

Solution
I think with 2 warnings and one mentioning a bad cable which i assume it unlikely in a laptop, I would get a new HDD and backup everything you can't afford to lose on hdd right now.

Top one indicates there is physical damage to hdd, current pending shows number of bad sectors waiting to be replaced by good ones, 69 is too high. IT should be 0 and may show there are no spare good sectors to be used.

Since I can tell from the code for the hdd that its a seagate drive, try running Seatools for windows on the drive again and see what it shows.

Silferwulf

Prominent
Apr 8, 2017

This is the result from HD Tune Pro (see below).
It gave three errors in the health tab.
1. (0B) Calibration Retry Count [warning] Number of calibration attempts after a calibration failure: 327. There were calibration errors.
2. (C5) Current Pending Sector [warning] Number of unstable sectors: 69. The drive has unstable sectors.
3. (C7) Interface CRC Error Count [attention] Number of interface communication errors: 3. There were communication errors. This may be cause by a damaged cable.

http://prnt.sc/eu9di8

Then I made 2 printscreens of my task manager during a crash while I was gaming. The first shows what happens at the moment the sounds start failing (i.e. my hard drive usage goes to 100% without any data going in or out I think?). The second shows that CPU usage drops to almost 0 when it actually freezes. Perhaps this is useful to you guys?

http://prnt.sc/eu9dn6
http://prnt.sc/eu9drj

Colif

Win 11 Master
I think with 2 warnings and one mentioning a bad cable which i assume it unlikely in a laptop, I would get a new HDD and backup everything you can't afford to lose on hdd right now.

Top one indicates there is physical damage to hdd, current pending shows number of bad sectors waiting to be replaced by good ones, 69 is too high. IT should be 0 and may show there are no spare good sectors to be used.

Since I can tell from the code for the hdd that its a seagate drive, try running Seatools for windows on the drive again and see what it shows.

Solution