Windows 10 Disk Usage Shooting to 100% of C: Drive

BlindCaesar

Commendable
Jul 1, 2016
Recently I have been having trouble with my disk usage on Windows 10 jumping to 100%. It seems to occur in several circumstances, such as installing a program. One particular issue that I've noticed is that whenever I try to run services.msc it shoots up to 100% usage. I have tried several things:
1. Disabling Windows Search
2. Disabling superfetch
3. Doing a cleanboot

I've seen in other places that I need to run sfc /scannow in the console, however when I try to this I get the error: Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation. I've seen potential solutions to this issue, however it seems as if the bulk of them require going into services.msc, which I am unable to do as it completely slows my computer.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Solution
The Services console (services.msc) lets you disable or enable Windows services. These are system-level programs that typically start when Windows boots up. Services run even when no user is logged in to Windows. what else is running ? if nothing, then I would press SHIFT when selecting Restart, at the new screen, select trouble shoot, advanced options, startup settings, then hit restart, this will force a restart and bring you into a SAFE MODE new menu on reboot, select option 4, then run a full system scan for virus. report findings
in performance monitoring tools from windows, what is the application running that is sucking the life out of your system ?
could be a windows update installer..

i.e.: open start, search for performance monitor, then middle box click like that says resource monitor, click on disk tab and see what's using the most resource, 100% when launching an app is normal give it a moment to finish loading. then see.

BlindCaesar

Commendable
Jul 1, 2016

It seems to be a combination of the particular service I run on the drive (say services.msc) and System.

The Services console (services.msc) lets you disable or enable Windows services. These are system-level programs that typically start when Windows boots up. Services run even when no user is logged in to Windows. what else is running ? if nothing, then I would press SHIFT when selecting Restart, at the new screen, select trouble shoot, advanced options, startup settings, then hit restart, this will force a restart and bring you into a SAFE MODE new menu on reboot, select option 4, then run a full system scan for virus. report findings

Solution

Ferrari1976

Prominent
Apr 9, 2017
Tried every suggestion in this entire thread but no avail. The did usage remained at 100%.

One suggestion "Set the compatibility of IDE controller to windows 8" caught my attention. Essentially I downgraded the driver of the device SATA AHCI controller to a windows 8 driver, one prior to windows 10 release. Voila!!! (To find the right driver, use the Hardware ID of your IDE controller and search for the driver on devid.info.)

It works!!! The disk usage is now absolutely normal and my laptop has its life back.

For all those who have tried all other options (services, registry settings, power options, SFC, defrag, chrome, firefox, prefetcher, skype, windows search, windows superfetch, etc.) and disk usage is still high, I suggest you try this.