120 fps on a 60hz monitor?

lennylemon1234

Honorable
Apr 9, 2015
So im just wondering since im looking i n to monitors and a new computer, if a game runs at 120fps but you have a 60hz monitor, will it actually take 2 seconds to display all 140 frames or will it force the game to run at 60 fps so that it is normal timing. Im not sure if that is worded very well but i hope you get what i mean.

Thank You.

Of course we didn't understand that convoluted grammatical nightmare that you call a question. And on a more serious note:D it will be displaying some frames, dropping others and may, at times, be displaying two frames at once at which point the user may see screen tearing. Vsync caps the FPS to that of your monitor. Your TV/monitor can only display images so quickly. The GFX card is pumping out images faster than the monitor can display them. Vsync helps to get both devices on the same page. That feature can increase input lag which for an online FPS player can mean the difference between life and death. Nvida's G-Sync and AMD's Freesync both look to improve upon vsync which is static in a way. Those other technologies are adaptive which can help shave precious ms off that input lag time.