GPU drivers broken, Black screen

Aldrnari

Reputable
Jul 28, 2015
So, I will try and be snappy with this. I updated my graphics drivers earlier (gtx 1080's if it matters) and it needed to restart to complete the update.

Upon the restart it went through the mobo manufacturer logo then the spinning circles of windows 10 and that's it.
Each time I restart it it just gets stuck showing that.
I have figured out that I can still type and see the mouse moving, so I can log in. And I can shut it off with commands but that's it.

I have an SSD so can't seem to get to safe mode, what is there that I can do?

Solution

Yes, when you boot without a card it will automatically return to motherboard graphics and visa versa when you plug a card.
Shut down your pc
Remove the power cable
Press power button to discharge any remaining power
Remove your graphics card
-->Connect your hdmi/dvi cable to the motherboard as you will now work with the graphics of mobo
Try to boot and see if you can get into windows
If you do, use ddu software to wipe out graphics drivers
Shut down with the same...

Aldrnari

Reputable
Jul 28, 2015
Will taking out the cards automatically boot to the mobo graphics? If so I can try that relatively easily.

Unfortunately I'm not the most pc literate, more than most average users but less so than the people on these forums, even the simplest things I may miss!

Yes, when you boot without a card it will automatically return to motherboard graphics and visa versa when you plug a card.
Shut down your pc
Remove the power cable
Press power button to discharge any remaining power
Remove your graphics card
-->Connect your hdmi/dvi cable to the motherboard as you will now work with the graphics of mobo
Try to boot and see if you can get into windows
If you do, use ddu software to wipe out graphics drivers
Shut down with the same procedure
Reinstall graphics card and remember to place back your hdmi.dvi cable now to the graphics card
Hopefully you get into Windows and install your previous drivers that were actually working

Solution