Can my motherboard support this i5 cpu and bigger ram?

JanisPoz

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2013
Hi,
I'm looking to upgrade my CPU and RAM. I currently am running
-H81M-PLUS motherboard
-i5 4570 cpu
-2x4gb ddr3 ram
I want to upgrade to 2x8gb ddr4 as well as i5 7600k. Am I able to do this? If not, what are your suggestions to alternatives for this motherboard?

Wolfshadw

Titan
You can upgrade the RAM to 2x8GB DDR3 for a total of 16GB of RAM, but you cannot use that processor as it's a different socket and not compatible. Your current processor should be able to handle anything you throw at it without issue, so aside from the RAM upgrade, you should be fine.

-Wolf sends

JanisPoz

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2013

I am trying to run witcher on max settings with my gtx 1070 and while at most areas it stays easily above 70fps, sometimes it drops down to 50-55. When I check the readings on my other screen I see that the game alone is using 97% of my CPU. Also, I like to have internet open on my other screen while gaming. Things like facebook or music on youtube, or even skype open to talk to someone on camera. I fear I wont be able to achieve solid above 60 while doing these other things and so am interested in upgrading my cpu. I was at first thinking about i5 6600k but wanted to be more.... 'future proof'. Also, can I not use the DDR4 ram? only DDR3?

Wolfshadw

Titan
Your motherboard does not support DDR4, just like it doesn't support the newer processors. First thing I would recommend is to turn off your FPS counter and then see if you REALLY notice the drops. Next, I would recommend not playing at max settings and see if you REALLY notice. If it still bothers you, then you would need to upgrade your core system (motherboard, CPU, RAM). For that, I would recommend:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700 3.6GHz Quad-Core Processor ($294.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($69.99 @ B&H)
Memory: G.Skill NS 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($104.97 @ Jet)
Total: $469.95
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-04-10 06:31 EDT-0400

-Wolf sends

JanisPoz

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2013

I don't think I'm very interested in changing my motherboard (since that comes with new windows license and a lot of extra work in general), so what would be some of the top cpu's my system would support?

Have you disabled Nvidia hairworks option in game settings? That setting alone has huge impact on fps.

JanisPoz

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2013

I have not. I only got my new graphics card 2 days ago and was excited to try maxing out everything. I will give it a go, thanks

Wolfshadw

Titan

If you're running Windows 10 post Anniversary Issue, this is correct. You could tie your Windows 10 license to a Microsoft account. I didn't mention it before because the OP stated he didn't want to do all the extra work involved. I assumed they meant reinstalling Windows and all additional programs.

-Wolf sends

JanisPoz

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2013

What? I didn't know this. I'm not sure if I have a MS account. I got win10 as a free upgrade from my 8.1. Do I automatically have a MS account or how do I link my license up to one?