Black screen startup windows 10

Weeaboo_1

Prominent
Apr 10, 2017
I have a Asus laptop and I recently upgraded my windows 7 to a windows 10. I can start up my computer fine. I can access the bios and the windows logo shows and the white loading dots spin but once my computer logs in the screen goes black and it proceeds to go on sleep mode. My laptop is hooked up to a monitor using that blue plug due the fact that my screen is cracked. Any help?

LukeFatwalker

Reputable
Dec 29, 2015
Upgrading OS' is the least recommended way of moving from Windows 7 to 10, as many users report a multitude of issues, yours being one of them.

Recommend doing a fresh installation of the OS (Windows 10). This will ensure that there's no compatibility issues and you can boot into Win 10. Do note though, you will be losing your data, so hopefully you backed up your data beforehand.

Speaking of, you should immieidately run a backup of the OS once booted and all is good. Disk imagers like Macrium Reflect work, you can also use RollBack Rx or other snapshot tools if you want to keep costs down.

Weeaboo_1

Prominent
Apr 10, 2017

Are you saying that I have to spend money to fix my computer just because I installed a free os off the Microsoft website. I think I might not bother with windows and just save up for an apple computer. At least those don't scam you

LukeFatwalker

Reputable
Dec 29, 2015

You clearly didn't read my response, it's not the OS itself, it's how you installed it. You need to do a fresh install.