I need a g56-129wm webcam, what part should I be trying buy online?

Matthew_119

Commendable
Jun 25, 2016
I'm sorry if this isn't the right sub forum. I thought maybe it should be posted in "Components" but had second thoughts when I seen ''Display''. If it doesn't belong here can someone kindly let me know and I'll copy and paste the thread there and request a delete here?

I have this laptop I bought for $75 used. I opened it up and got down to the heat sink and fan and cleaned that out with compressed air then replaced the thermal paste.

Then, when it wasn't running hot anymore, I clean installed Windows 10. It's running as best as can be expected from a budget laptop from 2010. I'm happy with it.

I need a keyboard, which I can find on my own and replace too and then I need a webcam.

I'm not exactly sure what I should be looking for.

I found a "webcam board", "Webcam Camera" and finally a "WEBCAM BOARD & CABLE".

Do I need a webcam board, camera and cable? For every seller they call it something different.

I know if I had the parts I feel incredibly confident I could find a YouTube video and do the job.

When I bought the laptop it never had a webcam in it. It was just an empty hole at the top with some glue like it had actually been there once.

I'm completely and totally willing to break this bad boy open and find out more information if you need it to help me figure out what I should buy to finish the job.

I also have an HP 2000-2b09WM and a HP Pavilion dv5-2129wm that I could possibly strip parts from. If I have to that is. I am pretty confident the HP 2000-2b09WM can be fixed. I'm not as confident about the HP Pavilion dv5-2129wm but I have really high hopes for it too. Could someone let me know if it's possible to take the parts from those webcams and shift them around to the laptop I'm current working on? It'll allow me to make a more informed decision on whether I even need to order a webcam.

Seriously, thanks for taking the time to even read this. Any help is immensely appreciated.

Solution
I'm not 100% sure, but unless it's super expensive, get the whole kitten caboodle, cable, board camera, unless you know it's just the camera. I would open it up and see (if you feel safe doing that).

Matthew_119

Commendable
Jun 25, 2016

That's what I wanted to do. Thanks, was just needing reassured before I pulled the trigger.