High Resolution vs. High Refresh Rate HELP!!

Julian_37

Prominent
Apr 11, 2017
Hello, i am planning on buying an asus strix gtx 1070 and i don't know whether to buy a 27" 144hz monitor at 1080p or a 27" 75hz monitor at 1440p

Specifically these two :

1080p 144hz:https://tweakers.net/pricewatch/467955/iiyama-g-master-gb2788hs-b1-zwart.html

75hz 1440p : https://tweakers.net/pricewatch/584641/iiyama-gb2783qsu-zwart.html

I would love to hear your guys opinion so that i can make the right decision.
Also if you guys have some better monitors around the 300 euro/dollar price range i would love to hear it. It would also be nice if you guys could explain to me when screen tearing occurs and how to minimize it.

*Thanks in advance

Solution
BOTH are important.
The Refresh rate will give you less blur/screen tear/ lag. its more responsive as the screen "refreshes faster"

The resolution is more of the sharpness/clarity of the picture, the problem here is the higher the resolution the less frames per second you will be getting, so in if the resolution is too high and your GPU (video card) cant handle the graphics you will have low frames per second (fps) therefore it defeats the purpose of having a high refresh rate.

As for the best price point for serious gaming without going too too far overboard, IPS 1440p @ 144 to 165Hz sounds like the holy grail of gaming as of the time of this writing. As video cards and CPU gets better so will the "gaming industry standards/holy...

xeonox

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2007
BOTH are important.
The Refresh rate will give you less blur/screen tear/ lag. its more responsive as the screen "refreshes faster"

The resolution is more of the sharpness/clarity of the picture, the problem here is the higher the resolution the less frames per second you will be getting, so in if the resolution is too high and your GPU (video card) cant handle the graphics you will have low frames per second (fps) therefore it defeats the purpose of having a high refresh rate.

As for the best price point for serious gaming without going too too far overboard, IPS 1440p @ 144 to 165Hz sounds like the holy grail of gaming as of the time of this writing. As video cards and CPU gets better so will the "gaming industry standards/holy grail".

If you do light gaming then go with better image resolution, if its for gaming you should probably find one with both good resolution and refresh rate.

Other things to consider is monitor SIZE and DPI, the bigger the monitor inch size means the less DPI and the more "blurrier" the picture will be if at same resolutions, and scaling will play a factor, but thats a whole other topic. Good luck to your endevours.

Solution