R5 1600x or R7 1700 (Which one to get)

GuyCalledJack

Commendable
Feb 1, 2017
(Im still fairly new to the whole pc spectrum so sorry if I get information wrong, corrections would be appreciated)

I've been planning to get a 1700 since they have been out and am saving up for them but with the release of the ryzen 5 series and the 1600x as the highest model, it does not seem to far off the 1700. I have looked at benchmarks for them from the Gamers Nexus and from the games that they benchmarked, sometimes there is no difference in performance or the 1600x would have a lead.
This makes me think that I should go for the 1700 as if there is a minimal disadvantage in performance, then the power that 1700 has in other tasks like rendering which out way the loss in gaming performance but then it is reversed as the 1600x is not too far behind the 1700 in rendering and is cheaper, so now I'm torn between the two. This then would make it clear that the 1600x would be the obvious choice but it does not come with the a cooler (if I'm not mistaken) which then brings up the price to buy one, and the 1700 runs at 65 TDP while the 1600x at 95 which would then allow the 1700 to run cooler which means that the stock cooler that comes with the 1700 would do well enough, so yet again I'm torn between the two.

Simply I just want to know which one to get and if there is anything else about these cpu's that I missed tell me and it could influence my choice.

TY for any responses :)

You pretty much answered your own question. More cores will help in things like streaming/rendering. Clock speed helps more in pure gaming, but all of these Ryzens can overclock to about 4GHz. If you are only gaming, the R5 1400 is a good choice. If you actually can use 8c/16t then get the 1700.

GuyCalledJack

Commendable
Feb 1, 2017

I do 3d modeling and sometimes video rendering as well as gaming so you reckon the 1700 would be the good choice?

drinkingcola86

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2008
I do a little video rendering but lots of streaming. I went with the 1700 because of that alone. I'm able to run at 3.7 at the stock voltage on every core. I have yet to see anything below the vsync of my monitor even while streaming.

My only suggestion would be is go with a different motherboard than the MSI Tomahawk. I went with that and it took a very long time to get windows installed. The newest bios have been a God send and have made the board better.

GuyCalledJack

Commendable
Feb 1, 2017

Im someone who likes to run their stuff at stock but I may overclock, but what sort of temps do you run at because I like to keep things quite cool?

Yes. Easy choice then considering your work.

drinkingcola86

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2008

Well it depends on what I'm doing. I have a 2 monitor setup with both at 1080p which pulls a little more than the standard temps. Just browsing around the internet I'm at 28-35c. Gaming with something playing or music on the second, I have seen a max of 55c.which it is usually in battlefield 1 that its at that high. Most other games, I'm in the low to mid 40's. This is also with the stock cooler, with an aftermarket one I've seen peoples sit at 30-40c in most gaming sessions.

GuyCalledJack

Commendable
Feb 1, 2017

Well thats way better than what I have now as when im gaming I reach into the 70s as my system doesnt have the best cooler right now, so that another reason to go for the 1700.

TY :)