OS becoming slow

Cereal77

Commendable
Dec 2, 2016
My friend recently had this issue he had to reinstall his OS but now mine is becoming slow and when loading applications it doesn't respond and some times yotube needs to buffer which never happens. My OS didn't even respond. Any ideas and is this happening to anyone else?

JBURNS489

Reputable
Jul 29, 2015
Gotta give some more info man.What type of storage and how full is it? (Hard drive vs ssd) how are you monitoring your disk usage? No chance of anyone helping you until you answer a few basic questions about whqt you're using. It could be an imminent hardware failure, a full or fragmented disk, a driver issue, a temperature problem, etc. etc.

xtnt

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2013
Had you installed any new programs just prior to the slowdown? On 10, the biggest problem I had when it was first released (on my average spec laptop) was with security software slowing the system down. The interface has been optimised more now though (avast) and I have made sure that it's not scanning everything continuously by tweaking a few settings. I have also ditched comodo for a lighter alternative (wfc). There may be too many extra services running after boot up as a result that are now slowing down your system. Right-click on the bottom left of the screen, select task manager and click on the startup tab. Disable any program from here you do not require to start up automatically as you log in. There is also the possibility of an incompatible program, although perhaps this is less likely.

I have noticed very slight buffering issues recently with YouTube, but I believe this is the result of Google updating their service/interface. The only pausing other than that on this laptop has been due to the hard drive continuously spinning up. The system kept turning off my hard drive by default after a certain amount of time/inactivity, and for me this would cause the system to freeze for a couple of seconds as it became active once again and spun back up. I solved that by installing crystaldiskinfo and changing the APM power management settings.

As ever make sure you have the latest drivers, esp most suited graphics drivers for your system. They should be available on your official computer manufacturer's website, or graphics card manufacturer's site for your model of pc or card. There may be an official update utility, such as the one Intel offers. Some articles online mention the possibility of bloated registries as the result of many installs/uninstalls and other actions over time. I don't know if this could slow down a modern computer to a great degree or not. If your computer was becoming very sluggish and you were on the verge of reinstalling, perhaps the another option would be to simply create a new account to see how well it performs in comparison. That way you might be able to rule out any hardware issue. You could then move all of your saved documents, browser bookmarks, passwords, menu shortcuts and other related files over. In my experience windows does tend to slow down over time though.

TRENDING THREADS